586,796 active members*
2,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma Table Advice?

I have been working for the company I am at for just over 2 years. We have tried a few different things as far as our slats go and every time the table gets bad we discuss a new design, but we just end up pretty much doing the same thing as last go around. So I am wondering if anyone has any good designs for a down draft table. The total table size is about 125" wide and 365". Running a Hypertherm HPR400XD torch with Messer CNC software. There are 2 shifts 5 days a week, cutting time varies from 45 mins per shift to over 4 hours, depending on if its plate cut downs or parts. The table is segmented in 4 quadrants to allow dross to blow into the pans below when we do plate cut downs. It's the parts that are just tearing it up. We just got a big contract to cut around 300-600 parts per week and our table is already in bad shape so when the parts fall they sometimes get knicked while the torch is on the lead out. Here are some examples of what we are using now (http://i.imgur.com/r29om5z.jpg) (http://i.imgur.com/M5YMY1c.jpg) This is the first table I saw when I was hired, Plasma cutter piercing - YouTube.

Is your problem with slag build up or all the cuts on the slats, or are your slat bending?

Mostly slag build up causing pockets for the parts to fall into at weird angles. The table is a sectioned down draft so the bars between sections tend to have large piles. Ive been pushing for loose slats that we can swap out without tearin the table down as that is what we have on our tanaka and bystar lasers. But in that case the standoffs for the slats would eventually be so slagged in we wouldnt be able to put new slats in.

One thought is to use copper slats .... I know its not cheep but slag dose not like to stick to it. I think Jim Colt has a video or post over it, I will try to find it tonight.