586,369 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Replacement I/O board on Fanuc 6M Model B system, new problem!

Replacement I/O board on Fanuc 6M Model B system, new problem!

I had a problem with the I/O board on my Fanuc 6M Model B system and was able to find what seemed an exact replacement. Both the old and the new boards are marked: "A20B-0008-0540/01A FANUC". They both appear to be identical.

I swapped the boards, but now when I turn the system on I get the following error message:

WARNING : SYSTEM INCONSISTENT

PREVIOUS SYSTEM SOFTWARE

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

CURRENT SYSTEM SOFTWARE

SERIES M51 VERS. 12

PUSH "RESET" , TO CONTINUE

(I push RESET)

SYSTEM ERROR 998
    031 00 032 00

This was a surprise to me. I had set the jumpers on the new board exactly like the old one (S1 = F), (S2 = A), and I can't spot anything resembling a ROM on either board. In fact, they appear exactly identical.

Can anyone tell me what to do now?

Thanks,

Bill

I would put the original board back in and see what happens. Sounds like something was wrong with the replacement board.

Strange ... if the matter is the same with the 2 pcb, i think your parameters are wrong..... check on your ROm/RAM board if the eproms 31 and 32 are mounted...

The original board has a dead short on the 24 volt bus to ground. Which is why I replaced it. I couldn't figure out where the short was, and it prevented the system from booting up at all, so no error messages.

Bill

tmbruno28, I can't seem to find eproms 31 or 32 . . . but then I'm not at all sure where I should be looking. There is a board mounted on the main pc board labeled "ROM A16B-1200-0150 A" with a bunch of eproms on it, and also a bunch of empty sockets. I didn't find any empty sockets or eproms with 031 or 032 there.

I'm wondering if the previous board reset something and I just couldn't see it because it wouldn't boot up and give me a screen of any kind.

Bill

No, power supply of fanuc 6 is self protected and you can't dammage anything with a short ...
    Memory is a bubble type , so you can't normally loose anything but your message you tells you have a previous software confirms me you have options parameters wrong ...
    Please make a memory clear (only if you have a backup of the machine )

tmbruno28, that sounds like a good idea . . . except I don't know how. Can you tell me how to back up the machine, and then clear memory?

Thanks,

Bill

No way when you are in system error state ......
    what is the machine builder and model ?

If you have the Yellow Fanuc manuals the proceedure is in there, if not search the internet as most of the old manuals are posted. tmbruno28 is right no way to do it in an error state.

tmbruno28 . . . I thought that would be the case. So, I guess at this point I should clear the memory (I do have the Operator's Manual and the Maintenance Manual, I just don't know where anything is in them) and see if I can find the parameters or whatever is needed after that.

The machine is a Shizuoka Mill Master AN-S NC Vertical Milling Machine, Machine # 13320. It's set up for four axis.

I'll see if I can track down the Shizuoka company in english somewhere now.

Bill

Could another board have been disturbed while changing the IO? I would reseat all the boards.

All clear memory :
    FIRST BE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP !!!!!!!
    Parameter enable switch on left bottom of master PCB
    Emergy stop
    Both Key "0" and "Delete" at power on ....

It sounds like the 24V short (which goes to the BMU) has corrupted the BMU content or even damged the BMU itself. All eproms are on the ROM board. We have a ROM board with that software.

Hi memoryman,

I agree it's looking like a problem on my ROM board. I suspect a power surge that got my IO board as well. Anyway, I've PM ed you with my contact info if your ROM board is for sale.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi memoryman, It looks like your PM mailbox is full . . . it's not accepting messages.

Bill