586,788 active members*
2,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Laser Engraver

I am building a cnc laser for engaving photo images on surfaces like plastic or wood. However, I can't find software for engraving or burning my images on a 2D surface since most cnc software is made for milling.
    I need the laser router that engraves while moving back and forth on the x-axis only, before moving to the next line or one step down on the y-axis to continue the cycle. In other words, the engraver works like a normal desktop paper printer; starts engraving the 2d image from the top of the canvas, working line by line (x-axis) while moving downwords in steps (y-axis).

What controller are you using. I use the RDLC 320 A controller from Ruida and it comes with the software to run it

I'm using an arduino board for my engraver. I needed some laser engraving software that runs on the arduino board.

If the arduino board can run g-code, then here is a reasonably priced image to g-code software for lasering photos.

picengrave | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by columbus1231 View Post
    I'm using an arduino board for my engraver. I needed some laser engraving software that runs on the arduino board.
    From what I understand, I'm new at this, you need a g-code interpreter Grbl Gcode Interpreter - Contraptor, it supposedly plugs into your Inkscape program. If you can make heads or tails out of this please let me know, I'm most interested.

Rolf

Update where to purchase Picengrave Pro 4 + Laser. Program was written specifically for analog, TTL modulation, variable feedrate TTL laser engraving and even supports spindle engraving for doing Lithophanes and photos in wood. It also combines analog code and variable feedrate to slow down the feed in darker areas to enhance the shading. I have even used this option on Lithophanes to slow down the small .032" ball end mills I use in deeper cut areas so it will not break the bit doing them in one pass. It will generate Gcode for a photo engraving for use with your 4th axis rotary too.

It has photo editing tools, including re-sizing, sharpness, brightness, contrast, gamma, adding text, rotate, flip (mirror) and it can dither Images for TTL laser engraving with 11 Different Algorithms. It will engrave borders and adjustable size/shape ellipses around images too. It's a one one of a kind complete software package to generate G-code for all these processes. No need to purchase any other program, so download the free demo and give it a try.

PicEngrave CNC Image Engraving Software

Jeff

Re: Laser Engraver

columbus1231,

Please contact me off list if you are still wanting software. I have new software (PicLaser Lite) available that works with Arduino.

Best Regards.
    John Champlain
    picengrave AT verizon.net
    PicEngrave CNC Image Engraving Software
    www.picengrave.com