586,129 active members*
3,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5x5 budget build g540, LCTHC, powermax 1000

Hi everyone, I am starting this thread to document and get feedback on my build.

I have been dreaming of getting a plasma table since I first saw a torchmate (before Lincoln bought them). As most know the cost is very high for most turnkey tables. About a month ago I saw build on another website I frequent that inspired me to take the plunge a build one myself after seeing how inexpensive it can be done for.

As I was starting to look at different components and create a timeline to start collecting parts I was bouncing the ideas off my friend who happened to offer up a powermax 1000 and his compressor that he is not using. Score! At this time I had no reason to not start buying stuff so after some research I have ordered:

G540 4-Axis NEMA23 381oz in, PSU 48V/12.5A | Automation Technology Inc

* Controller - Gecko G540 4 axis
    * Motors – NEMA23 KL23H2100-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with flat) 381 oz-in
    * Power Supply – KL-600-48 48V/12.5A 115V /230VAC Poser Supply

http://www.candcnc.com/LCTHC.html

* Torch Height Control – LCTHC
    * THC g540 Interface Card

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=45{3}7

* Motor Cable – 20ft, 20/4 AWG, DB9 connector, shielded, (3.5 kOhm - pins 1/5)
    * Limit Switch – Mechanical lever arm limit / homing switches

For the gantry, I called Ron at PrecisionPlasma and ordered a set of the carriages that are used on their iPlasma system. I have a awesome source for steel local to me so I wanted to source as much as I can myself. I will be using direct drive R&P should give me more than enough resolution for plasma cutting.

At this point most of my electronics have showed up aside from the LCTHC so I started to get my enclosure setup.

I do not have a shop so this will be setup in a 2 car garage. It has an alcove off to the side that I should be able to roll the table into and still roll projects in and out. I wanted the electronics to be modular also so I could move them and the table around as needed. Everything aside from the plasma unit is contained on a tool cart I scored from harbor freight for $99 after finding a coupon online. The computer is an old workstation I stuck in a new enclosure and the monitor was a black Friday special from Frys Electronics. I went back and forth on using a wireless keyboard/mouse but ultimately decided that wireless and a machine that cuts stuff do not go well together and found this sweet mini keyboard/touchpad combo.

I didn't want to do to much before getting the LCTHC and the interface board for the g540 but I couldn't resist running a quick power/ground/e-stop and running the motors after I got them soldered up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 5.jpg  

I am using an aluminum enclosure pre-cut for the g540 also from Automation Technologies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1(3).jpg   photo 2 (3).jpg   photo 4 (2).jpg   photo(3).jpg  

So at this point, I have MACH3 spinning the motors! I am trying to get a video to upload but need to rotate it first because I guess I was holding my phone upside down when I took it.

Only issue I am having (may not be an issue from the research I have been doing, more like a common complaint) is the same one here - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...igh_pitch.html

At this point since I still need to install the LCTHC I am going to wait to troubleshoot since I will be changing power/grounds/ect. I am currently building inside and once I move it to the garage I will have a big grounding rod that everything will be hooked to that should help if the noise is from a ground issue.

I am designing the table today and will start getting everything cut so hopefully that is something I can weld up this weekend. Water table is also in the plans.

Thanks for reading! All the images are attachments, if it is easier I could upload to photobucket then link them.

Steel for the table has been ordered, picking it up and cutting it to length tonight after work. Went with 3/16" 2"x2" for everything.

Welded, painted, and assembled the trolleys for the gantry. You can also see the stainless steel I am using for the rails in the background.

Knocked out the table. Used a bandsaw to cut all the steel so it went together very easily. Lots of c-clamps and ratchet straps helped keep it square while welding it together. I am going to use leveling castors, but they will be one of the last things I buy. I have 1 more center support to weld in but I was running out of wire and trying to prioritize what got welded. It is designed so a 55.75" x 55.75" water table will slide right in. That is also one of the last things I will build.

The stainless rails for the gantry are held by a 1/2" bolt at each end to allow for fine tuning. I tossed the carriages on last night and have motion. I was riding the gantry and it rolls nice and smooth.

It looks like the LCTHC should be delivered today so I will switch gears and get it wired. I am going to remove the gantry and drag the table outside this weekend to paint it and hopefully assembly can start next week.

Any input on how thick the pan for the water table should be? I want it to be 3" deep which should give me 7.5" +/- between the gantry and the table top. It will be supported by 3 3/16"x2"x2" and would have about 2 24" unsupported spans between the support rails. |<-24"-> |<-24"-> | is how the supports would run and the slates will run parallel to them and the X axis to make it easier to load material.

LCTHC arrived and was added. I used a job box I picked up to mount it near the monitor.

Gear rack was ordered from cncrouterparts.com and pinions were ordered from McMaster-carr. Once they show up I should be able to start moving the gantry around.

Very productive weekend.

Had a couple buddies come by Friday night with the goal of getting everything finalized and get it drawing some pictures.

Gear rack installed very easily. Pinions were sourced from McMaster Carr and I tapped them for set screws. The gantry was re-installed and once we had everything squared and tightened it was moment of truth and so I fired up Mach3 and everything jogged nice and smooth :banana:

Got creative and re-purposed a piece of shift linkage I had to make a spring loaded ball point "torch". Within 10min I was able to configure the steps using Mach3, set some soft limits and defined home and Bam! it drew a scorpion. Ran another file to get an idea of how it draws circles. Remember at this point I have done no tweaks or anything this is first movement.

Last night I added a couple home switches I can have it reference home through Mach3.

At this point, I am just drawing pictures, playing with motor speed, running larger jobs to see if they complete, and keeping an eye out for a z-axis.

I have to say I am surprised about how easily it has been coming together for not having any prior cnc experience. I am sure adding the plasma will introduce some issues to sort out, but hoping that since it is a Hypertherm they will be minor. I will add some youtube videos tonight of it running and get some picture of the overall table.

Looking good. I'm digging your computer stand!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank W View Post
    Looking good. I'm digging your computer stand!
    Thanks!

Been busy with other projects but still working on the table, scored a nice z-axis from ebay and should have it this week. Also added some bolts on each side of the X axis so I can fine tune and square everything up. They also keep the gantry from wiping out the homing switch if something decides to crash. I will get some pictures when I have the Z axis installed.

Re: 5x5 budget build g540, LCTHC, powermax 1000

Got the z axis installed and calibrated.

Since I don't have 220v yet, I went and snagged some muffler clamps, chunk of aluminum and a $20 harbor freight router and its cutting.

Re: 5x5 budget build g540, LCTHC, powermax 1000

Nice!

I was looking at the router stuff at Home Depot I think it was and they have a Makita 1 1/4 HP router that is variable speed from 10,000-30,000 rpm for $100.

That may be an option as well.