586,905 active members*
2,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Moving Machines-recalibrate probes?

Moving Machines-recalibrate probes?

Soon our shop will be moving all the CNC equipment into a new building. After the machines are moved, will it be necessary to reset all tool length offsets and recalibrate the probes? I keep a lot of my tool offsets perminately stored in the control. Part of me thinks I will need to, but if I don't have to spend time redoing offsets and calibrations that is time I can be making chips instead.

Personally, I would...or at least check one tool and if it is within a few tenths then you are probably fine.

Seriously...it doesn't really take that long does it? You don't need to reset your tools...as they won't change. And the spindle probe likely will remain unchanged. Just get a standard set up and use it to verify the table probe height. It only takes a few minutes at most.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by DruMor View Post
    Soon our shop will be moving all the CNC equipment into a new building. After the machines are moved, will it be necessary to reset all tool length offsets and recalibrate the probes? I keep a lot of my tool offsets perminately stored in the control. Part of me thinks I will need to, but if I don't have to spend time redoing offsets and calibrations that is time I can be making chips instead.
    I would be surprised if you didn't need to recalibrate. The minor changes in machine level will be enough to trow the tool setter off.

Like WallyL7 said, it's really not that difficult of a task anyhow and I personnaly feel it is something that should be done every so often anyhow to ensure its accuracy.

Yes, you definitely DO want to re-calibrate both the OTS and your OMP40. You should indicate them both as well to ensure OMP40 is still running true within .0002" and the OTS is flat across the top in both X and Y axis' and up and down the side of it as well, as mentioned above, it only takes a few minutes and well worth the time....Also, a VERY common mistake alot of people make is they take the OMP40 out of the machine. Always leave it in the toolchanger regardless if its a sidemount or umbrella style. Taking it in and out and putting it back 180degrees off from how you calibrated it will have an impact on your work offsets if you are doing fussy work.

Quote Originally Posted by homey263 View Post
    Yes, you definitely DO want to re-calibrate both the OTS and your OMP40.
    There is no reason the OMP would change from a small move...and I highly doubt you would need to re-indicate the OTS. Running the calibration cycle to reset the height and location since leveling the machine may cause it to change would get him to where he is now...assuming they don't need to be indicated now.

Also, a VERY common mistake alot of people make is they take the OMP40 out of the machine. Always leave it in the toolchanger regardless if its a sidemount or umbrella style. Taking it in and out and putting it back 180degrees off from how you calibrated it will have an impact on your work offsets if you are doing fussy work.
    If you are putting any tools in willy nilly then you are doing it wrong. They all (should) ONLY go in one way. There is no reason he can't or shouldn't remove the OMP - and in fact, maybe that is a good idea - if he thinks it may get bumped by slacker truck drivers putting straps across the machine.

I agree it's a good idea to check these things regularly though
    Tim

My goodness, I can't believe I am about to agree with WallyL7, but I would bet that it will change very little if at all.

Logic seems to dictate that the relationship between the Z axis and the table would not change much if at all if the machine was leveled and is leveled again once placed where you want it. You are not talking about the floor after all, you are talking about the relationship of the casting itself. The spindle itself will not change and the tool will go into the spindle same distance.

I would bet that unless the machine was really out of level, that it will be functionally the same. I would really like to know the results, and I hope that you will post them for us. Checking a few tools etc. will tell you. I love trying to figure out these things.

Have fun and I hope the move goes smoothly.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    My goodness, I can't believe I am about to agree with WallyL7,
    That's the most intelligent thing you've ever said. :cheers:
    Tim

Tram would affect the probe mor than simple leveling. If the machine is square and tram now, and square and tram upon new installation, your probe shouldn't change much if any.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

150 IQ! :wee:
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

On a Haas Machine, regardless of whether it is CT or BT, 30,40, or 50 Taper, tools CAN be loaded into spindle and/or carousel in any orientatioin since the dogs are same size on both sides of spindle nose, therefore if you calibrate OMP and remove it and reload 180deg from the calibrated orientation, it will affect your work offsets if you are doing very tight work. I have seen it many times since the inception of HAAS, as I have been a Haas Tech since the beginning of time lol.

On a Haas Machine, regardless of whether it is CT or BT, 30,40, or 50 Taper, tools CAN be loaded into spindle and/or carousel in any orientatioin since the dogs are same size on both sides of spindle nose, therefore if you calibrate OMP and remove it and reload 180deg from the calibrated orientation, it will affect your work offsets if you are doing very tight work. I have seen it many times since the inception of HAAS, as I have been a Haas Tech since the beginning of time lol.

Yes...very true...(and thanks for pointing it out) but my point is the operators should be aware of how they load them and maintain the practice of only putting them in the right way as though the dogs were sized to only allow "the right way"...:drowning:

This practice will save you in many many ways...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    operators should be aware of how they load them and maintain the practice of only putting them in the right way as though the dogs were sized to only allow "the right way"...:drowning:
    You are assuming most operators care! :violin:

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    You are assuming most operators care! :violin:
    If they don't...then they can go scrub toilets!(wedge)
    Tim

If they don't...then they can go scrub toilets!(wedge)
    No, they can't do that, they have unions! :nono:

Completely off topic? Maybe not completely because it is related to moving a machine.

I had a large Herbert Auto Turret lathe that was operated by cams on a large rotating drum; the machine weighed over 16,000 lbs. we moved it to a new location and didn't even bother levelling it; my "bushman" way of levelling was to put wooden blocks under the feet and let them compress more or less level. The first parts off the machine at its new location where within 1/2 a thou of the last parts before the move.

But with CNC machines you should not be quite so crude.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for all the replies. Moving day is next week and I will recalibrate both probes when the machine is back up under power.

There is no reason the OMP would change from a small move...and I highly doubt you would need to re-indicate the OTS. Running the calibration cycle to reset the height and location since leveling the machine may cause it to change would get him to where he is now...assuming they don't need to be indicated now.

If you are putting any tools in willy nilly then you are doing it wrong. They all (should) ONLY go in one way. There is no reason he can't or shouldn't remove the OMP - and in fact, maybe that is a good idea - if he thinks it may get bumped by slacker truck drivers putting straps across the machine.

I agree it's a good idea to check these things regularly though
    I am always careful that on the SMTC machine that the divot in the drive lug notch goes foward and on the umbrella machine that it goes out. And I never take the probe out, but even if I did I know how it goes in so it will be oriented the same. Shouldn't have to worry about strapping machine down to truck, the building the machines are moving to is right next to where we are at now. So I assume the forklift will just pick up out of the current building and drive stright to the other building.

Quote Originally Posted by DruMor View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Moving day is next week and I will recalibrate both probes when the machine is back up under power.

I am always careful that on the SMTC machine that the divot in the drive lug notch goes foward and on the umbrella machine that it goes out. And I never take the probe out, but even if I did I know how it goes in so it will be oriented the same. Shouldn't have to worry about strapping machine down to truck, the building the machines are moving to is right next to where we are at now. So I assume the forklift will just pick up out of the current building and drive stright to the other building.

Just as an experiment, you could pick one of your machines and fully check it out before you move and see how it compares after you relevel it at it's new home. I would still recalibrate it mind you, but it would be interesting to see what kind of changes you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    I would bet that unless the machine was really out of level, that it will be functionally the same. I would really like to know the results, and I hope that you will post them for us. Checking a few tools etc. will tell you. I love trying to figure out these things.

Have fun and I hope the move goes smoothly.

Mike
    UPDATE!!
    After getting the machine leveled up I checked a couple tools against what they measured when installed at the old location and length was within .002" and diameter changed about .0015". Recalabrated both probes and all seems to be well.

The "fun" part was getting a 1999 vintage HRT210 to work in a new VF2-SS. That took some time on the phone and a bunch of parameter changes and a subplate, but it is making parts now.

After using the new machine a few days it would be really nice to talk to some of the engineers that design these things. I have several questions for them, and they all start with "What the f*$K were you thinking......" If engineers were required to either service or use a product before they are allowed to be involved with design, things would be easier to use and work on. RANT OVER (flame2)