586,131 active members*
2,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Desktop Mill advice needed

Hey everyone. Ive posted a couple times here, mostly for build advice. I was going to build a stout cnc router but instead realized a desktop vertical mill would benefit me more because I also have to mill more small (1.5" x 3" max) steel parts than large aluminum parts. Which is the most cost effective machine on the market capable of handling 4140 steel on a daily basis? Or would it be more wise to source a heavy duty spindle, used ball screws, and linear guides to build a machine? As you can see my work envelope is small. Would a Taig hold up milling 4140 if the feeds and cut depths were kept conservative? Thanks.

A Taig would do the job most likely but not in a production atmosphere. Do you mean daily making the same part in steel? How many parts a day?

Thanks for the reply! Technically it would be production but that would be about 2-4 parts a day. And each part would be smaller than a rubiks cube.

If that 4140 steel is hardened, you'll have problems machining it on any mill. But if you anneal it before attempting to machine it, the Taig will be able to deal with it. Heat-treat it after the machining is finished. The Taig will need periodic adjustment to deal with wear, if you're using it every day, and frequent lubrication, but it's a very cost-effective machine for making small parts like this. The relatively fast spindle gives it an advantage over most larger mills when using very small tools, which are likely to be necessary for your small parts.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Thanks for the info, glad to hear its capable. It will be annealed 4140. I will harden afterwards. 4130 could work for me too and might be easier to mill. I'll have to check the specs.