586,103 active members*
3,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V26 Open Pocket problems
Page 1 of 2 12

V26 Open Pocket problems

Just starting to get some time again to continue my learning of V26 Mill and its not going too well
    I was trying to do an open pocket and kept getting the error below.
    I tried all sorts of things but just couldnt get the beter of it. I thought I was doing things the same as in V25 but maybe not, so opened V25 and used the same drawing in it, this time everything went great.
    I have attached the bbcd files for both the V26 and V25 parts, anyone see where I am going wrong?
    Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Just starting to get some time again to continue my learning of V26 Mill and its not going too well
    I was trying to do an open pocket and kept getting the error below.
    I tried all sorts of things but just couldnt get the beter of it. I thought I was doing things the same as in V25 but maybe not, so opened V25 and used the same drawing in it, this time everything went great.
    I have attached the bbcd files for both the V26 and V25 parts, anyone see where I am going wrong?
    Hood
    You just need to update your V26 to the latest release. There is a "bug" in the system, which is not so much a bug but a poorly chosen default setting which has been changed in the latest version. Basically, when you are doing a "Zig" only pocket, it is still reading both the Zig and Zag stepover even though you can't see the Zag part on the screen since you aren't really using it. The Conventional Mill (Zag when the climb is being used) is defaulting to "0", so you would have to click "Zig Zag" to make the value visible, change the setting to any number, then click "Zig" to go back to what you wanted. As I said, the newest release of V26 has fixed that, with the default now at 50% instead of 0.

Hope you had a great holiday season, Hood!
    -Mike

Your V26 file didn't seem to have a feature for the open pocket, although the V25 file did. I set one up and had no issues with it. Here's the V26 file I generated. I'm brand new to V26 (Thank you, Santa!!!), so rather than try to figure out how to incorporate the top/bottom of feature, etc. into the existing Feature, I just made a new one, using the settings from your V25 file. Not sure what we're doing differently, since the feature was missing from yours, but maybe this will help?

Luke

Edit: lol, I see I'm already behind. mmoe, do you even sleep?
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

mmoe, I have the latest build I think, 1182.
    I tried what you said but not really sure what you are meaning
    I put it to zig zag and it showed lace angle 90, stepover 50. I changed both of these to different values but when I go back to adaptive and compute I still get the same error.
    Hood

Trotline, again not too sure what you are meaning. I am new to BobCAD full stop, have done a fair amount of Lathe but hardly any mill so all the terminology is new

Anyway I have attached a screenshot showing I have a 2 axis feature , is that what you are meaning?

I will have a look at your attachment in a minute and see if I can get an understanding of what you mean.

One thing however, if I open the V25 one I did in V26 then I have no issues, it runs fine but if I try and do another open pocket anywhere on that part I get the same problem.
    Hood

Trotline, just opened your file and it looked fine, did a compute without changing anything and I get that error.
    Will go and download the update again and see if that fixes the problem, maybe something corrupt but more likely some setting in BobCAD I dont have right.
    Hood

The 2 operations in the Feature 2-axis were the roughing and finishing passes that removed the 2 areas off the top of the part. There would need to be another pocket operation in there for the open pocket. From the errors you're getting, I'd be inclined toward what mmoe said. It sounds like something fishy is going on with your install. As I said, I'm an utter greenhorn with V26, so I'll back out and let wiser heads help with this. Cheers!

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Very strange. The V26 file works fine for me just as you sent it. If I open it, right click on the feature and compute, it doesn't give me an error at all. If I go to the feature settings, then check the "Adapative" box and compute, it still generates the toolpath without an error. The only difference is your machine definitions are missing at my end. Luke, have you tried computing the 2d toolpath on the V26 version?

I can't see the problem either.I do have to change to the BC3xmill though.Try changing to that Hood,just for the heck of it,and let us know.Might also go to help/about Bobcad, just to double check you are in fact on the latest build.?.?

Hood,
    Out of curiosity, what version of Windows are you running it on? I had a couple other weird issues with a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), but once all the updating of Windows was finished, they just disappeared.

Here's a quick video of computing the toolpath as you had it. I think I'd consider those top two areas to be open pockets since you have the dashed lines at each side, so I think that's what you're asking about. I tried to cover every variation that could be computed without major changes to the toolpath and they all worked the way you had them.

https://files.secureserver.net/0s25d5NgOjg1tW

Ok case closed, just re-downloaded and re-installed the update and all seems to be working fine now. Must have had a bad install or something, either that or maybe the update has been changed but the build number not, wouldnt think that to be the case but you never know
    Anyway all seems fine now so thanks all for your help.
    Hood

mmoe, its XP32bit, I am fighting against having to update to anything newer
    I do have W7 64Bit on a laptop and I have probs with BobCAD on that, when I exit the simulation BobCAD crashes. Have not had time for the last month to mess around with things but hopefully I will get round to it sometime soon.
    Hood

Ok case closed, just re-downloaded and re-installed the update and all seems to be working fine now. Must have had a bad install or something, either that or maybe the update has been changed but the build number not, wouldnt think that to be the case but you never know
    Anyway all seems fine now so thanks all for your help.
    Hood
    I think they did do something weird like that for one of these V26 updates.

jrmach,
    I was certainly on the latest as I did go to the about and took a screen grab, was going to attach it earlier but forgot. Have attached now and as you will see the filename has the time in it, its now 01:24.
    Hood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 05 00.20.jpg  

You know xp is not recommended or supported?
    That ain't the problem obviously though.

ha ha I know but as it is working better than the laptop with W7 64 I think it will do me until I am forced to update. W7 is bad enough but W8 will take me a long time to get used to, always having to help a friend out who gets probs with W8 and navigating my way round that is a nightmare. I suppose I would soon get used to it if I was using it but from what I have seen I will be kicking and screaming when I have to go there

Hood

xp strikes me as it has a "cult" following,I have no experience with it.Oh yeah,Mac seems to be a cult
    I always heard Vista Sucked (however,it is all I have ever known,and I find it adequate for everything I need)(me's a very late in life to learn computer)
    I thought most folks liked 7 from what I heard.
    I was just told today 8.1 is good.
    I just hate wasting so much time learning new stuff all the time.But sure is amazing at the rate technology marches on now-a-days.

For me XP is my choice, it took me a while to update from W2000 as that was an excellent OS in my opinion and I think it was after the first service pack that came out for XP that I eventually thought it as good as W2000. I had tried Millennium but that was junked after a day of messing with it. Vista I tried, was on my netbook but man it was slow even with more ram than my XP box at the time, I put XP on the netbook and the thing flew
    W7 is on the laptop, its ok but it too is slow, I would have XP on that in a moment but the good lady likes the games on it so not allowed

I will have to update one day I suppose, just hope its not W8 as I am not a fan of the smart phone look/style of things. Probably the future though so I will likely just have to get used to it one of these days.

Hood

BTW all is going great with the part now so thanks everyone for the help, especially mmoe who said it was an update that was required, even though I seemed to already have it

Hood

as I am not a fan of the smart phone look/style of things. Probably the future though so I will likely just have to get used to it one of these days.

Hood
    I would bet my cookies that we will be somewhat happy again in a bit. I think what will be found is that the "everybody is on, and likes the small pad/phone stuff, is not an entirely true statement. It's one of those spoon fed lines. Watch MS do a 180 on that soon.

Page 1 of 2 12