hello all....didnt know where to post this so threw it in here...if needs be higher powers can move it

in my second year in college and been asked to come up with a small project, the problem is i dont do small lol

ive my head set of a wankel rotary project and with a partner we have done some solidworks drawings and threw together a model with experimental dimensions

now this will be just a demonstration model that we plan to be turned by hand to demonstrate the wankel engine concept, we have as of now not included any sort of apex seals but then can be added for realism.

from doing some research there is a few different ideas on the shapes and various names for geometries that i hope some can clear up

we gleened most of our information from the PDF of kenneth weston chapter 7 rotary engines and also the yamamoto pdf.

the formula used in our project for the housing shape was given with x and y co-ord in the these formula

x = e*cos(3*§)+R*cos(§)
y = e*sin(3*§)+R*sin(§)

eccentricy (e)
rotor radius (R)
§ is varied from 0 to 360 degrees to locate the tip of the rotor as far as im aware.

we were unsure as to what dimensions to use so wee looked in the yamamoto book for some numbers and it had a few examples so we scaled them to out size, weight and machine capabilities limitations.

using excel i calculated 360 X and Y co-ordinates to do up my CNC code as the housing will need to be done on a subprogram and called upon in the main program. the machine used in my college is a HASS CNC mill....not sure on spec of it right now but it is something i can confirm.

we have chosen our gears and have hence designed around these components

here is a few pictures of a early model in solidworks. the solidworks package will not allow us to mate the correct parts in order to virtually test out the mechanism so i am weary of our design...we are running a eccentricity of 15mm and a rotor radius of 70mm. at the side the rounded edges on the rotor are crashing as they are just arcs taken from a point.some guidance in this area would be welcomes greatly.

the gears we have chosen are 48 tooth 1.5 mod internal gear and a 32 tooth 1.5 mod spur gear....both have teeth 10mm wide.

for some reason i do not have the most recent pictures to hand of the working drawings and solidworks models but in these the stationary gear is missing a 10mm hub on the front side which will be modified to be held by the front housing on some way. the centre of the stationary gear will also need to be machined ut as the centre shaft will be running in centre with it and also flush with front cover.

all comments and criticisms welcome and encouraged.

thanks
leigh