586,685 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 10 56789

Re: DIY Hobby Size 5-axis mill

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGolden View Post
    Yeah, i know what you mean. Its just a real pain to get working right. Theres not much I can say aside from what the tutorials already provide.

Figure out the coordinate system so you're using inches. Set offsets to zero and draw your part in space where it would end up on the machine. And hope it doesnt crash. lol
    Hi Michael.

I am confused on how you are setting up cnctoolkit as there is only a A B post but no A C.
    Are talking about laying the A C configuration on it's side and calling it A B , in effect changing the normally
    C horizontal home position of the turntable, to a B vertical position at home.

What in Camworks is not working for you? Is it an issue in the post? You can use the UPG (universal post generator) to set up your post processor settings. Very cool project!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dmauch View Post
    OOOPS! Steve, I think I did not make my self clear. There was no problem with my friend using Powermill. I measured the offsets and he incorporated them into his post processor. Power mill worked with no problem except for a couple lines that the post processor added so I have to delete them. But I don't want to have my friend do my tool paths as he is very busy at work. Additionally most 5 axis CAM programs cost $5-10K.
    On the other hand, the Cnctoolkit and Gmax are free but it was designed to be used with a head mounted 4/5th axis. I have been on the toolkit forum asking if one of the gurus with Gmax and the toolkit if they would modify it so that it could seamlessly be used with a Trunnion type 4/5th axis. If someone would fix it, it would open up a whole new avenue of technology to the home shop machinist and to some small businesses. With some modifications those cheap 4/5th axis Chinese trunnion tables would solve the mechanical part and a 4 and 5 axis driver would be easy as a parallel port can support 5 axis machining. Mach3 and EMC both have 6 axis capabilities.
    Dan

So I re-wrote the kinematics control for the xyzac selection to make this easier. Here is the new script file with two example/testing files.

The only request is you post this on the cnctoolkit forum so we can tweak it and do any necessary updates if need be.

https://instagram.com/cncmike/

Thanks Michael, I've gone ahead an posted your script on the toolkit forum. Hope someone takes your lead and further improves it if necessary.
    Dan Mauch
    So I re-wrote the kinematics control for the xyzac selection to make this easier. Here is the new script file with two example/testing files.

The only request is you post this on the cnctoolkit forum so we can tweak it and do any necessary updates if need be.

It's a great idea but it dos not work.

Quote Originally Posted by billw999 View Post
    It's a great idea but it dos not work.
    Well it does. But the C axis needs a bit of work.

I managed to get both axis turning in the simulation. Here is the new file.

There! The C axis is working better now. I'll make a tutorial and post it on youtube once I get some free time.

I also made xyzac the default and set offsets to 0 as default.

Now its up to you to create your own splines and draw your part above z0 where it would sit on the machine.

Shouldn't the part be below Z0?

Dan
    There! The C axis is working better now. I'll make a tutorial and post it on youtube once I get some free time.

I also made xyzac the default and set offsets to 0 as default.

Now its up to you to create your own splines and draw your part above z0 where it would sit on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by dmauch View Post
    Shouldn't the part be below Z0?

Dan
    You can reverse any axis in mach3 settings to match the gcode. Or you can switch the axis orientation with notepad.

Or you can open cnctoolkit with a text editor and set the post up any way that suits your machine.

On my machine Z+ moves the tool up.

If you are referring to zeroing your tool. You must zero the tip of your end mill at the pivot point which is below the part.

Here is another update. The A axis was acting up.

https://instagram.com/p/z8f0WWAZ5s/?modal=true

We really appreciate your efforts to fix the tool kit.
    Thanks
    Dan

Here is another update. The A axis was acting up.

https://instagram.com/p/z8f0WWAZ5s/?modal=true
    It's getting better, way to go, nice job.
    Here is a link to my DIY 5 axis work and a simulation video of Michaels script mod machining a sphere.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWo...1EwGTxqzxV2WGQ

Thanks Michael and Bill for moving the cnctoolkit along and making it work.
    Dan Mauch

Here is a link to my DIY 5 axis work and a simulation video of Michaels script mod machining a sphere.

Hey looks good. Thanks for pointing out the bug. I found it. Try this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

[More testing shows good results.

Hi Again.. last for a while.. unless there are any new developments... thought of a spline form I hadn't tested.. that is also a very good test of function.. post processing etc...

Freeform spline.. i.e.. any shape.. like text.. or imported vector design... news is good.. I can use this successfully at least 4.. possibly 5 ways.... and you can;t argue with that....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piMhmExgBzk

Big thanks to Mr Golden...

Danny

CNC_Toolkit TRUNNION Mod 1.05 Freeform Spline
    CNC_Toolkit TRUNNION Mod 1.05 Freeform Spline
    Thought I'd finish the set with freeform spline made with CNC_Toolkit text-ring object.. looks to be problem free.. With this I can think of at least 4 diffe...
    View on www.you
    QUOTE=MichaelGolden;1662090]Hey looks good. Thanks for pointing out the bug. I found it. Try this one.[/QUOTE]

I've checked out the youtube videos. Seen the couple of erratic movements and think it was a simple typo in the code. Try this one. I also removed the g92 A axis command at the end of the post because its easily added after the fact by the user if required and doesnt really apply to what we're doing here.

Here's the new file.

I've checked out the youtube videos. Seen the couple of erratic movements and think it was a simple typo in the code. Try this one. I also removed the g92 A axis command at the end of the post because its easily added after the fact by the user if required and doesnt really apply to what we're doing here.

Here's the new file.
    Please sir may I have some more? maybe some tool compensation with a sprinkling of G93.

With all the progress you have made I have started to improve the cheap Chinese trunnion table . Currently the AC axis are driven by 6/1 ratio timing belt drive. The existing motors are about 380 oz in and could possible do light maching in metal. However, I have some 10/1 ratio gearhead motors that I am currently making adapter for and will change the 6/1 ratio to a 3/1 ratio but that times the 10/1 of the gear head will give me 30/1 at the A axis and as soon as I get that done then on to the C axis.. I think I can do the same there. I'post some pictures after it done.

Thanks so much for finally making the toolkit work for trunnions.
    Dan mauch

Here's the new file.

I figured out how to add g93 to the post. But I have no idea how the distance is suppose to be calculated.

A 3d distance move = SQRT ( x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2 )

But how does the C and A rotary moves get factored into the equation? Does anyone know how to do this?

I don't know know how to calculate it but I think I can tell you where to find it., EMC and Mach were created from the open source NIST program. As I recall they downloaded the G code source code and then developed the GUI and software from there to run it. If you code on the EMC forum someone may be nice enough to cut and paste that section for you. Although I have not found them particularly helpful on some matters. Your success may be different that mine. Alternatively, I believe a copy of the G code engine can be found with some searching..
    Dan Mauch

I figured out how to add g93 to the post. But I have no idea how the distance is suppose to be calculated.

A 3d distance move = SQRT ( x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2 )

But how does the C and A rotary moves get factored into the equation? Does anyone know how to do this?

Page 7 of 10 56789