586,983 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Beginning a New Adventure

Beginning a New Adventure

I've retired 3 or 4 times, the last time for good about 3 years ago. I had enough of traveling to all kinds of adventure spots around the globe and have gotten back into doing some wood working and competing in competition BBQ with my family. While restoring a melodeum (circa 1856) I found that I needed a decorative part that was beyond repair. While looking for a source I came to find out that there is no one within 100 miles of me that could produce the part for less than my monthly SSI check. So I started looking at CNC routing. I had contacted a number of wood shops, cabinet shops, custom home builders and have determined there is a market for products products produced using CNC routing. Of course signs for my fellow BBQ competition competitors is also a good market.

The Rockler Shark immediately caught my eye because I receive their catalog and Emails but quickly determined that it was not going to fit my needs. At a minimum I decided that I would have to be able to handle 1/2 of a 3' x 6'8" door. I looked at a lot of low priced and high priced CNC machines both domestic and foreign, and have decided on the CNC Router Parts PRO4848 using Mach 3 and Aspire for software. The original thought was the 4896 with VCarve, but I doped down in size to be somewhat portable and upgraded the software. I have 3 Made in USA Porter Cable 690 routers (my routers have a max RPM of 23000) and will purchase a Super PID for RPM control. I have looked at purchasing a Porter Cable 892 since it will fit in the same spindle as the 690, but have heard both good and bad things about this router. It will be nice to have more HP.

Procurement starts after the 1st of the year when I have to begin making another required minimum withdrawal from an IRA. My biggest effort right now is to clean up and rearrange my shop so I can accommodate the router. My shop is about 28'x30' so I have enough room to create an enclosure for the router with a dedicated dust collection system. Two walls and a door and it will be done.

More later parts start arriving with pictures (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by Oblieaux View Post
    I've retired 3 or 4 times, the last time for good about 3 years ago. I had enough of traveling to all kinds of adventure spots around the globe and have gotten back into doing some wood working and competing in competition BBQ with my family. While restoring a melodeum (circa 1856) I found that I needed a decorative part that was beyond repair. While looking for a source I came to find out that there is no one within 100 miles of me that could produce the part for less than my monthly SSI check. So I started looking at CNC routing. I had contacted a number of wood shops, cabinet shops, custom home builders and have determined there is a market for products products produced using CNC routing. Of course signs for my fellow BBQ competition competitors is also a good market.

The Rockler Shark immediately caught my eye because I receive their catalog and Emails but quickly determined that it was not going to fit my needs. At a minimum I decided that I would have to be able to handle 1/2 of a 3' x 6'8" door. I looked at a lot of low priced and high priced CNC machines both domestic and foreign, and have decided on the CNC Router Parts PRO4848 using Mach 3 and Aspire for software. The original thought was the 4896 with VCarve, but I doped down in size to be somewhat portable and upgraded the software. I have 3 Made in USA Porter Cable 690 routers (my routers have a max RPM of 23000) and will purchase a Super PID for RPM control. I have looked at purchasing a Porter Cable 892 since it will fit in the same spindle as the 690, but have heard both good and bad things about this router. It will be nice to have more HP.

Procurement starts after the 1st of the year when I have to begin making another required minimum withdrawal from an IRA. My biggest effort right now is to clean up and rearrange my shop so I can accommodate the router. My shop is about 28'x30' so I have enough room to create an enclosure for the router with a dedicated dust collection system. Two walls and a door and it will be done.

More later parts start arriving with pictures (I hope).
    hi

first hope you had a wonderful christmas.this is sam from Gweike,we are manufacturer of all kind of cnc,laser etc,export about 10 years etc & feedback well.

now have you already bought the cnc router?if yes,please feel free to tell me.
    if not,Please kindly let us know your materials’max length,width,height and max engraving cutting thickness.Then we can quickly check and suggest the most suitable machine with right spindle for you.
    here is wk2030 operate video link:wk2030 operate video-Video-Laser engraving machine|Laser cutting machine|CNC router-G.Weike Laser for you,please check out.

wonderful weekend.
    Ms Sam
    0086-15806684060
    [email protected]