586,388 active members*
3,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 8 678
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Mcmaster.com sells all sizes of round shims as thin as .001.
    Hoss
    Thanks Hoss, I have a big order I am going to have to make at McMaster so I will add some various sizes of these shims so that I can try different thickness and see how they work.

Ordered all of my electronics, and the aluminum for the mounts.

I ended up going with Hoss's Heavy duty digital recommendations, I think that should be a good setup for this machine.

Aluminum should be coming on Monday, I hope to start working on the actual mounts this week. For the X and Y axis my mount designs seem to be good to go. I could not fully mount the X as I did not yet pocket my saddle, but I was able to put it in place under the table to gauge fits. Y axis also seems good after a few rounds of modifications.

Also started ordering pieces for an oiler, following cowing but I did the 10 valve manifold rather than the 2 separate ones. I hope to really get this conversion moving in the next few weeks.

Got in all of my electronics and aluminum. Started working on some of the mounts this am. Going to take a while since I just don't get any chunks of time to work on it.

One question for you guys, what do you guys use to house your electronics for your CNC machines? I really did not want to spend an extra $90 bucks for the nice ones that automation sells.

I am thinking of using a very old windows desktop that I have, it is about 12 years old, works, but I have no use for it. Thinking about ripping everything out of that and using that.

For my current milling machine, I am just using a sheet of plywood and have everything mounted to it, works well enough but not really protected, but I keep it out of the way.

Re: PM-30MV-L CNC conversion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mill CPU.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	229010

I put the drivers and PS and everything in a full size ATX box of the same computer that runs the mill. If you build the PS it lets you leave room for the breakout board and drivers. Gecko drives are vary small and dont need much cooling.

This is my IH computer. Room left for well, not much.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post

Name:	Mill CPU.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	229010

I put the drivers and PS and everything in a full size ATX box of the same computer that runs the mill. If you build the PS it lets you leave room for the breakout board and drivers. Gecko drives are vary small and dont need much cooling.

This is my IH computer. Room left for well, not much.
    Arizona, thanks, that looks really good. I would not have thought to put it right in my computer box itself. I will see if I have room for everything, I like that a lot.

Make sure your wires are long enough to get the computer away from the chips. 10 feet sounds fine but if you rout around a few things they will be short. Chips will kill the PC so you want it clear as can be. I did 14' but the PC is only about 6' away. I bit closer than I would want.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

做的不错!

Babelfish translation ; the kettle has boiled!
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

Its been a long time since I have updated this thread. I finished up the bulk of the conversion, to where I can now machine with the mill.

I finished the 3 axis conversion

I did a 2 speed belt drive conversion

Plumbing for the one shot oil system

Way bellows

I now have this machine up for sale, as well as my Tormach 1100. I am only selling one of them, but I just cannot fit both of them, plus my CNC lathe, and everything else I have in my shop, so one of the two CNC mills has to go. If anyone is interested, or just want to see some pics, here is the CL ad.

CNC Milling Machine Mill PM-30LV

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone might have. Overall it was a fun project, that at times was very frustrating as well, but I am glad I did it. I will continue to work on it unless it is sold.

Next up would be to make an electrical cabinet, finish up the wires, finish up the oiler, and a stand with an enclosure, and likely some type of power drawbar.

First post and hoping for some advice.

I have a Weiss 30 clone (the SPG version), had it some time and now got myself into gear to convert to CNC. I notice several people refer to a breakdown of ballscrew lengths and sources but I just can't find them on here. I understand apart AVRnj's brilliant thread that Longrat has posted a list of dimensions for ballscrews.

Sorry for hijacking here but could anyone point me in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Shed9 View Post
    First post and hoping for some advice.

I have a Weiss 30 clone (the SPG version), had it some time and now got myself into gear to convert to CNC. I notice several people refer to a breakdown of ballscrew lengths and sources but I just can't find them on here. I understand apart AVRnj's brilliant thread that Longrat has posted a list of dimensions for ballscrews.

Sorry for hijacking here but could anyone point me in the right direction?
    Shed, its tough to use someone's dimensions unless you are doing the exact same mounts as well, IMO. I can share with you my dimensions, but you really would need to make sure your table is the same length as mine, and you plan on having the same style mounts, and the same thickness as well. If you want my dimensions, let me know and I will dig them up for you.

Over the past few months I have done more work on the CNC mill.

Here is a youtube walkthrough. I think it came out very nice and is a very good CNC machine, great travels, pretty heavy duty, and a total integrated solution.

Unfortunately I just don't have the space to keep it, so I am selling it, its up on craigslist and eBay for sale for what I think is a great price considering I am losing a good amount of money on it and it has only test part use on it.

If anyone has any questions on the conversion, I would be happy to help out as much as possible. This conversion was a fun and rewarding project and I learned a ton doing it.

https://youtu.be/Bh_ZO8m0_fc

Name:	Photo May 03, 7 05 07 AM.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	278782

Name:	Photo May 03, 7 05 18 AM.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	278786