587,006 active members*
2,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Hybrid View

The big thing with he pulsar is you can do rigid tapping. Wish my pro would do rigid tapping...

The Torus does rigid tapping as well.
    I absolutely love that feature.
    The drawbar is one item that is better. I wasn't aware that the Pulsars stand was not included. I think the servo's are the other extra cost.
    My Torus should have come with the quick change tools, but didn't. I didn't worry about it though. I doubt I would have used them. Tormach tooling just makes it about as easy as it gets.

Pictures are pictures. The shop cleanout will work.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    The drawbar is one item that is better. I wasn't aware that the Pulsars stand was not included. I think the servo's are the other extra cost.
    My understanding is that the stepper Pulsar is $7750 (without the stand). The servo Pulsar is $2000 more at $9750 (without the stand). This info is from what I can glean from the Novakon website, and isn't based on any other communication with Novakon.

So that still leaves me really confused about what the extra cost of the Pulsar ($8500 with stand) over the Torus ($6495 with stand) was buying me.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay
    My Torus should have come with the quick change tools, but didn't. I didn't worry about it though. I doubt I would have used them. Tormach tooling just makes it about as easy as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaebis
    Yes they are [Novakon quick change tools are Tormach compatible]. Same collet and shank. In fact I ordered quite a few TTS tools from Tormach to use with my Pro.
    Why are the Tormach TTS tools being bought instead of the Novakon quick change tools? Is there a large difference in price or quality that would lead one to Tormach instead of Novakon?

Titaniumboy

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    My understanding is that the stepper Pulsar is $7750 (without the stand). The servo Pulsar is $2000 more at $9750 (without the stand). This info is from what I can glean from the Novakon website, and isn't based on any other communication with Novakon.

So that still leaves me really confused about what the extra cost of the Pulsar ($8500 with stand) over the Torus ($6495 with stand) was buying me.
    I think you should call john and Khai and ask. I think ~$1000 of it is the upgraded stand and the rest is various minor improvements.

Why are the Tormach TTS tools being bought instead of the Novakon quick change tools? Is there a large difference in price or quality that would lead one to Tormach instead of Novakon?

Titaniumboy
    Novakon doesn't have ER32 holders or the custom tools and accessories like the fly cutter, shell mill, TC tap heads, granite surface plate and height gauge, etc.

The tormach stuff is decent quality. Never used the novakon stuff. Darkon sells good ER20 and ER32 holders too: http://www.darkonindustries.com/er32...--collets.html Also, Tosa Tools sells ER 32 holders but you need to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    I think you should call john and Khai and ask. I think ~$1000 of it is the upgraded stand and the rest is various minor improvements.
    The Pulsar stand is $750 right now, so the other various improvements add up to $1245.

Novakon doesn't have ER32 holders or the custom tools and accessories like the fly cutter, shell mill, TC tap heads, granite surface plate and height gauge, etc.

The tormach stuff is decent quality. Never used the novakon stuff. Darkon sells good ER20 and ER32 holders too: ER32 Chucks / Collets - Darkon Industries Canada Also, Tosa Tools sells ER 32 holders but you need to call.
    Thanks for the info on the different quick change tools. I'll have to look into this some more.

Titaniumboy

I'm looking into installing the leveling castors like LeeWay did on his Torus.

Set of 4 Leveling Casters with 2" Wheels
    Attachment 218556

Are there any issues with the wheels being only 2" in diameter? I have the following Grizzly Mini Mobile base installed on my G0704 bench mill, and while not a great setup, has 3" diameter wheels. Those 3" diameter wheels on the Grizzly base don't seem overly large.

I'm concerned that the 2" wheels on the leveling castors might be an issue if I move the Torus over one of the concrete crack-prevention lines in my garage shop. These crack-prevention lines are much larger than I've seen before, and almost look like four separate concrete pads were poured. The crack-prevention lines are 3/8" to 5/8" wide, and I have to be careful when rolling smaller diameter wheels over them.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Min...le-Base/D2260A
    Attachment 218554

Titaniumboy

I'm looking into installing the leveling castors like LeeWay did on his Torus.

Set of 4 Leveling Casters with 2" Wheels
    Attachment 218556
    According to the Ebay listing the capacity of those is 600 lbs. As I understand it, a set of 4 of those casters has a maximum capacity of 1200 lbs (twice the capacity of one caster). That might be a little on the low side for a Novakon mill.

Mike

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in on the leveling casters and TTS/Novakon quickchange tooling.

While I think the 1320 pound rating of the leveling casters that LeeWay used is more than adequate for the 800 pound mill (702 pounds for mill and 100 pounds for the stand), I came across these leveling casters on sale from the same eBay vendor.

Set of 4 Heavy Level Caster with 2 1 2" Nylon Wheel Retractable Leg Top Plate | eBay
    Attachment 218842

They are rated for 1000 pounds each, and 4000 pounds for a set of four. The wheel diameter is marginally larger at 2.5" as compared to 2", but either will have problems crossing the crack control joints in my garage floor. I've come to the conclusion, though, that there should be no reason I should have to ever move the mill far enough to cross one of these joints.

With the 25% off sale, they will cost $73.46 for a set of four, plus $10.93 shipping. This makes these casters actually a couple of bucks less expensive than the LeeWay casters. The only downside might be that they will put the mill a tad higher at 4.0625" to 4.75" as compared to the other casters at 3.23" to 3.7". I will place an order for these casters this evening unless someone sees a problem that I'm missing...

I'm looking at LeeWays photos of when he had his Torus perched up on the forklift forks so he could install the casters. and wondering how the heck he got the Torus up there?

Titaniumboy