586,912 active members*
3,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 14 56789

Re: Remeber your first

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Very cool! What is the gear assembly for? Looks freaking cool with the translucent Grey

Brian
    WOT Designs
    Thanks Brian,
    The bronze color plastic rings are modular motor mounts that snap on end of motors or screw mount.
    The whole project will be more fun to see when its finished.

Eric,
    When it comes to electrical work and quality power for my tormach and controller, I spared no effort or expense.
    Everything is run in conduit with correct size wire and fuses. Very clean and dedicated to the machine only. "picture above shows machine connections"
    I live here so doing cheap, substandard , incorrect electrical work is not going to happen period!
    Thanks for reading and kind comments!

I went back and forth between the 6" and 8" tilting rotary table for use with the ATC. The weight was the big minus of the 8" but in the end I went with it since it had the larger NEMA stepper motor and I hope to use it for large fixtures.
    I was going to go with the small electric hoist but ended up just setting up my rotary table on a heavy duty steel table that cantilevers a little so I don't have to go too far to move it onto the bed. See photo attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	229594
    I think someone may have asked this but what are you using your plastic gears for. They look very nicely done.
    Best,
    Nathan

Nathan,
    Nice setup there! I was thinking of something like a wall mounted open cabinet about a foot back from where your rotary table is for storage. And a small trolley crane over mill x axis for moving stuff on and off.
    Now that i see your cantilever bench .... idea I like that better!
    Build a moving system on a bench / storage rack that can be wheeled over to corner or out of way and back when you need another attachment.
    No lifting of vise , rotary tables, lathe or whatever you might use and still not crowd the area around the machine.
    Weight of the rotary tables is huge issue for me. The tormach vise is about max for me and not damage me "no big deal" and scuff my tool table.... grrrr

Homing system and what options did you get to start?
    3 jaw, 5c...tailstock?
    Looks like fun to use with sprut, is it?

I have been shopping and another 3k can add up fast.

Thanks for ideas and comments nathen
    md

I have been too busy behind the computer to be doing too much with the Tormach but hope to get to it more soon.
    I did get the homing and a 4-jaw chuck. It will have a little more setup time but I want to be able to do rectangular stock and I find 4-jaws more accurate.
    I bought the tailstock but wish they had a live center option.
    As you can see, I have my stuff on MDF so as not to scuff the tools or table. It works well enough that I don't have to bend over.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Nathan,
    Nice setup there! I was thinking of something like a wall mounted open cabinet about a foot back from where your rotary table is for storage. And a small trolley crane over mill x axis for moving stuff on and off.
    Now that i see your cantilever bench .... idea I like that better!
    Build a moving system on a bench / storage rack that can be wheeled over to corner or out of way and back when you need another attachment.
    No lifting of vise , rotary tables, lathe or whatever you might use and still not crowd the area around the machine.
    Weight of the rotary tables is huge issue for me. The tormach vise is about max for me and not damage me "no big deal" and scuff my tool table.... grrrr

Homing system and what options did you get to start?
    3 jaw, 5c...tailstock?
    Looks like fun to use with sprut, is it?

I have been shopping and another 3k can add up fast.

Thanks for ideas and comments nathen
    md

First real useful all around shop tool made on my pcnc!

I fabricated a few magnetic pucks.
    Magnetic bases are a common tool around shop. A little big, powerful and bulky for most of my needs. I decided I wanted a couple smaller ones!
    These have 4 neo magnets embedded into bottom plastic base with a snap on cover for whatever tool you want to hold.
    Don't have to worry about scratching things much , they are not as powerful and you need to keep an eye on them but for light work I find these fun to use.

The base with the 4 magnets
    Attachment 230078

couple pucks with tools mounted to snap-on covers.
    Attachment 230080

Fun Ideas and figured I would share with everyone.
    I have others to hold panels and guards in place also to hang lights and other tools on.
    Enjoy
    md

My First 87 holes tapped in .22 thick aluminum plate with 8-32 tap and tc tapping unit.
    All code generated in sprutcam spot drill, sized drill , tapping , rough waterline and finish waterline .
    Is this stuff fun, Tapping this many holes by hand would have made me bat **it crazy.

Attachment 231080

What it looks like in cam simulator for mill drill and tap

Attachment 231082

The finished Fixture model is used in sprutcam to hold parts to be milled on other projects.

Attachment 231084

Sprut will avoid the screws that hold part automatically
    Very cool
    And a fun example I wanted to share with new cnc users.
    md

Main thing I learned is get them collet nuts tighter!!!!!!!!! I broke tap in 1st hole because it slipped in collet and had to stop!
    Edit code to take out that hole real quick CLEAN tap and put in tc unit , set tool height, double check nut so its tight and go. simple things bite you..

Tension compression tap tool in action.

Talk about a tool you can stand there and watch! Very cool.

Attachment 231758

My first

Attachment 231766

Setup in sprutcam now for easy use.

Doing research and setup a couple different strategies for surface work to be included in sprutcam.
    Want to test a few of these for best results and control where the swarf flies!
    Then I can include in programs as required for a more complete or full set of operations available to all my programs.

Attachment 232060

Anyone have some pointers, tips, or favorite strategy ?
    md

Great looking parts. Just curious what the book is you have open in the background?

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sdh600 View Post
    Great looking parts. Just curious what the book is you have open in the background?

Steve

CNC Programming Handbook by Peter Smid.
    Very informative text.
    md

Thanks,I thought that was what it was. I think you had mentioned it in another thread. I was just searching eBay for it. Look to be much cheaper there then at Tormach.

Steve

Friday night on the town!

I Use to spend Friday night out running around town or on couch watching tv.
    For the first time I really enjoy spending that time refining and learning new skills.
    Because I enjoy drawing and now I have tools to make it all come alive. "inspired by you nate"

First Draw something up "Get cleaned up"
    Attachment 232978

Then set down for some cam "Eat dinner"
    Attachment 232980

Then drinks and a show "work on the mill"
    Attachment 232982

And don't forget the program!

Was fun and rewarding evening
    hehe
    md

Friday night on the town!

I Use to spend Friday night out running around town or on couch watching tv.
    For the first time I really enjoy spending that time refining and learning new skills.
    Because I enjoy drawing and now I have tools to make it all come alive. "inspired by you nate"

First Draw something up "Get cleaned up"
    Attachment 232978

Then set down for some cam "Eat dinner"
    Attachment 232980

Then drinks and a show "work on the mill"
    Attachment 232982

And don't forget the program!

Was fun and rewarding evening
    hehe
    md
    I have the perfect solution for not missing my favorite TV programs. I will record them while I make a set up or draw a new part, then I after I prove my program, I will watch my recorded stuff while the machine runs and makes me money.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have a 46 inch TV right next to my machine.

The TV actually serves 2 purposes. I live in an area where we have a HOA, so the TV blocks what can be seen from the street, and it keeps me entertained while the machine is running.

It's cool to make $50.00 an hour while I watch Blue Bloods.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I have the perfect solution for not missing my favorite TV programs. I will record them while I make a set up or draw a new part, then I after I prove my program, I will watch my recorded stuff while the machine runs and makes me money.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have a 46 inch TV right next to my machine.

The TV actually serves 2 purposes. I live in an area where we have a HOA, so the TV blocks what can be seen from the street, and it keeps me entertained while the machine is running.

It's cool to make $50.00 an hour while I watch Blue Bloods.

You mentioned this before and it come up in a conversation I had recently with friends about home shops, business, hoa and law in general.
    No area home owners association to worry about here. On the other hand the city is very different.
    I use my tools in my home shop for education period! Why do I like to make that clear, because the city I live in has use tax.
    And in short you use the tools and machines to make money and they want 7% use tax per year on the value of those tools.
    This would include my computer$, everything! Only way around it is to move out of the city.
    btw this is for all business and the city wonders why they no new jobs or business move to area.
    Just a word of warning to others and readers of this thread if you are looking at home business its good to know if this applies.
    Many city governments use the same revenue template and you might be subject to use tax laws also
    Anyway that's for another thread and subject!
    And that is awesome, Steve you can make your hobbies and passions pay a r.o.i. All my passions cost
    md
    md

You mentioned this before and it come up in a conversation I had recently with friends about home shops, business, hoa and law in general.
    No area home owners association to worry about here. On the other hand the city is very different.
    I use my tools in my home shop for education period! Why do I like to make that clear, because the city I live in has use tax.
    And in short you use the tools and machines to make money and they want 7% use tax per year on the value of those tools.
    This would include my computer$, everything! Only way around it is to move out of the city.
    btw this is for all business and the city wonders why they no new jobs or business move to area.
    Just a word of warning to others and readers of this thread if you are looking at home business its good to know if this applies.
    Many city governments use the same revenue template and you might be subject to use tax laws also
    Anyway that's for another thread and subject!
    And that is awesome, Steve you can make your hobbies and passions pay a r.o.i. All my passions cost
    md
    md
    The people from the HOA have stopped by to ask what I do with my garage door open all the time and I told them I race remote control gas powered boats and I can't buy running gear that suits my expectations or my needs, and I'm retired and need something to do so I make my own, and as long as it's just a hobby, they can't stop me.

The city has also stopped by to collect their "fair share" and I was able to convince them that this is a hobby and is not taxable. They asked what are all the aluminum bars for and I told them sometimes it's more expensive to buy a short piece of material and pay the cutting charge than it is to buy a full bar. And the price per pound goes WAY up when you buy a short piece.

Then I got a visit from the fire department and they just asked if I had anything flamable or explosive. I told him, I had 2 gallons of gas and a gallon of acetone that I keep in a fireproof cabinet, outside. He looked it over, shrugged his shoulders, said I was doing everything right and he left. The only thing wrong with my fireproof cabinet is it's a hideous yellow.

I will be leaving the HOA in the next 60 days. We bought a new (to us) house in Vista, CA. I'm tired of paying $115.00 per month in HOA dues and $225.00 per month to store my motor home.

At the new place, I'll be out of the garage in my own 20 X 35 heated and air conditioned work shop with its own bathroom and kitchenette. And a small office so I can keep chips and crap out of my computer and off my desk. I get to design it, so if it's wrong it's my fault. It's going to look like a big red barn with double sliding front and back doors. I'll post some pictures as it's being built.

When the barn is finished, I'll be adding the new Tormach Slant Bed Lathe and a 60 or 80 gallon compressor.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Wow
    Steve that sounds awesome! I would love the 20x35 space with open end barn style doors for air flow when you want and a bathroom to isolate all this from home and home furnishings.
    Don't forget a 100+ amp service panel to supply clean power to all those nice modern tools! I know you know this
    I still need to run another 220 / 110 dedicated power point for a Tormach lathe, reason I noted that above, I'm always short on power!
    I do have a place reserved for a lathe. Maybe later this year or early next year.. The place is getting tight and your new digs sounds so much better of course " when done".
    Building big complicated buildings, structures and other strange things was my profession, . I understand how much work it is and the detail required for quality results.
    Looking forward to your shop build, and good luck with the move "sounds like real work". and if you have construction questions I might be able to help
    md

Wow
    Steve that sounds awesome! I would love the 20x35 space with open end barn style doors for air flow when you want and a bathroom to isolate all this from home and home furnishings.
    Don't forget a 100+ amp service panel to supply clean power to all those nice modern tools! I know you know this
    I still need to run another 220 / 110 dedicated power point for a Tormach lathe, reason I noted that above, I'm always short on power!
    I do have a place reserved for a lathe. Maybe later this year or early next year.. The place is getting tight and your new digs sounds so much better of course " when done".
    Building big complicated buildings, structures and other strange things was my profession, . I understand how much work it is and the detail required for quality results.
    Looking forward to your shop build, and good luck with the move "sounds like real work". and if you have construction questions I might be able to help
    md
    100 amps sounds great, but I think I''m going to have to be on a separate meter, so I think I'll shoot for 150 or 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    The people from the HOA have stopped by to ask what I do with my garage door open all the time and I told them I race remote control gas powered boats and I can't buy running gear that suits my expectations or my needs, and I'm retired and need something to do so I make my own, and as long as it's just a hobby, they can't stop me.

The city has also stopped by to collect their "fair share" and I was able to convince them that this is a hobby and is not taxable. They asked what are all the aluminum bars for and I told them sometimes it's more expensive to buy a short piece of material and pay the cutting charge than it is to buy a full bar. And the price per pound goes WAY up when you buy a short piece.

Then I got a visit from the fire department and they just asked if I had anything flamable or explosive. I told him, I had 2 gallons of gas and a gallon of acetone that I keep in a fireproof cabinet, outside. He looked it over, shrugged his shoulders, said I was doing everything right and he left. The only thing wrong with my fireproof cabinet is it's a hideous yellow.

I will be leaving the HOA in the next 60 days. We bought a new (to us) house in Vista, CA. I'm tired of paying $115.00 per month in HOA dues and $225.00 per month to store my motor home.

At the new place, I'll be out of the garage in my own 20 X 35 heated and air conditioned work shop with its own bathroom and kitchenette. And a small office so I can keep chips and crap out of my computer and off my desk. I get to design it, so if it's wrong it's my fault. It's going to look like a big red barn with double sliding front and back doors. I'll post some pictures as it's being built.

When the barn is finished, I'll be adding the new Tormach Slant Bed Lathe and a 60 or 80 gallon compressor.

So you run a business and don't pay taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    I was just reading how IRSs EMPLOYEES get a BONUS when they DONT pay taxes,
    What's the world coming to!
    My city selectively taxes some business to death and lets others get away with anything. So I see no consistency in any of this conversation.
    I know this because I employed a former city auditor for few years as a full time accountant, we had lots of lunches together .

Move along, nothing to see here! These are not the droids your looking for!
    md

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    NO WAY SIR! I do pay my fair share.

Page 7 of 14 56789