586,936 active members*
2,074 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

k40 Y axis dosen't move well.

Hello again,
    I've posted k40 tube problem few days ago on the other thread for my new modified k40 from Mr. Frank Wang here. Now I need another help while I'm waiting for the new tube to arrive. I'm getting tube in the USA, not direct from china btw.

The axises problem was noticed initially when the laser was turned on first time. Both x and y axises didn't move well when I turn the machine on initially. There were loud noise but only a little movement. So, I changed dip switch on the step driver to 0.5A current for x axis and 1.0A for the y axis and 16 step that I found somewhere in the forum. The x axis runs smooth now but Y axis still doesn't move well. I've changed current up to 3.0A but not much improvement. The motor runs ok when I took off the belt. It seems motor doesn't have enough power to move the axis. Y axis move smoothly by hand when the machine is off btw. Do you think I need new motor? Is this work? Thanks for the help. Yoshi

Pull the belts off and check by hand to see if each axis runs smoothly with no binding and no "bumpy" spots. The K-40 machine should be fairly close to the same as Full Spectrum's 4th gen hobby laser, except for the controller package. Hopefully we can get you up and running smoothly with as little mucking about as possible.

Do keep in mind these are relatively unsupported machines, and are really made with the end user having to deal with issues themselves, hence the extremely low prices. Hit me up here or come by our laser support forum and have a poke around at fslusers.freeforums.org. We're specializing in support for FSL's systems, but yours is similar enough that you'll benefit too.

Thanks, TLHarrell.
    I took off the belt and tested. It feels week and It doesn't run continuously. It stops easily if you grab the shaft with fingers.
    How do you dismount pulleys from shaft? Do I need special tool or just poll it out? Is NEMA17 Stepper Motor (KL17H247-168-4B) good for replacement? Thanks. Yoshi

For the K-40 owners out there. We have a sited dedicated to Full Spectrum Laser owners right now, but it has been suggested that K-40 owners may benefit from the site as the hardware is said to be the same basic makeup. So a new forum section has been added for those users. You can visit the site at. FSLUSERS.freeforums.org ? Index page

Mike

Trying to diagnose whether this is a mechanical binding issue, or an issue with stepper wiring. You will need to physically separate the two to test. Loosen the belts. The adjustment for the X axis is on the right side of the gantry. There should be a hole to access the cap screws from the electrical bay which makes it easier to work with. Just loosen the belt adjustment until you can pop the belt off. The Y axis adjustments are from the rear of the machine, same mechanism as the X axis, just two of them instead. Loosen until you can pop the belts off. At that point you should have both axis free to move. Run them around and sort out if they're running smoothly. Should be a gliding motion with no wobble, no clicking or other motions. The wheels on the X axis should be adjusted to where they glide freely on the gantry extrusion. There should be no play in them.

If the mechanical motion of the X and Y axis are fine, then likely the motors are miswired or have a bad connection. {WARNING... do not ever unplug or plug in a stepper motor to a driver circuit with the power on. It will fry the driver.} Pull the connectors to the X and Y axis motors and test with a multimeter. Each should be 4 wires, and there should be two pairs of wires that are connected to each other.

Verify those prior to moving to other issues.

So, I dismounted xy stage from the machine, pulled off the belt and run the y motor only. The motor runs but only one direction until it stopped whether up or down key was pressed. I checked wires for abnormality, changed wire arrangement to the driver, disconnect and reconnected wires, etc. Then somehow, It moved right direction when up or down key was pressed. I put everything back to the machine and it seems woking correctly. I still don't know the real cause was wether mis wiring, bad connection or else but at least it's moving smoothly. Now, I'm waiting for the new tube for the next installation challenge. I will probably need another help soon. Thank you in advance for your support!

My dad bought the K40 and I get to figure out how to work this thing. I had no trouble installing the software. I have no problem getting the x-axis to work. The y-axis is another story. I don't think this is a hardware issue. It is software I think. I read somewhere this is an issue with Moshidraw 2013. I found this link on google. It has a fix and says to use Moshidraw 2012. I can't find the program anywhere though.

DC - K40 Blog

I am at a loss as the Y-axis does not work. I know it moves when it turns on. Once I start Moshidraw it has issues.

Sorry, Schumacher713. I don't know about Moshidraw, My k40 has DSP and LaserCad. Hope you can find the solution.

At last, my k40 is working! Initial tube I ordered was dead on alive but replacement was shipped very quickly from the US vender.
    New tube was installed without problem. To set all mirrors dead center was somewhat difficult so compromised some but it works. I can cut ⅛" acrylic 5mm/s and 30% power and ¼" hardwood 3mm/s and 60% power. I think that's about you can get from k40, right?
    Besides tube installation, I did table adjustment as well. it was off as much as ⅛" at certain corner.
    I've learned a lot from this forum. Without this community, it was impossible to fix this machine myself. I really appreciate your contribution.
    Thank you.
    Yoshi