586,103 active members*
3,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Doosan puma Rapid question

Doosan puma Rapid question

Doosan Puma 240 & 300 funac I series

Machines brand new October 2013. Is there a parameter or setting that can be changed so that when the machine rapids both the X and Z axis arrive at their final destination at the same time? Straight line rapid moves! Is there some reason I am not aware of this should not be done? It scares me to death sometimes when I am not expecting it. Anybody?
    -Brent-

Hello Brent.

First off, why would this be a concern, if I may ask? I always use a safe index position with Fanuc controls and then approach the part from there -
    i.e. On a Puma 2600 lathe I may have a G0 X12. Z12. and then go to the part staying .1 away for safety.

Single block ON, Rapid Override to 0%, and let it S-L-O-W-L-Y approach the part.
    Once it's good, it's good.

However... If you REALLY want both axii to approach simultaneously, put the machine into G01 linear feed and give a feedrate of about 300-500 ipm in G98 mode. REMEMBER to revert back to G99 ipr afterward.

Hello DouglasR...

You are correct G98 G1 F at high feed rate would get-r-done but for obvious reasons that will not be the path I choose. This being such a sophisticated piece of new machinery I thought the odds were in my favor that it could be manipulated permanently. Do you know? Well what this all boils down to I guess is that this is case of the new machine jitters. For the last 15 years up till a couple months ago I operated a 1984 LeBlond Makino Baron 25 with General Electric Mark Century 2000 controls and that machine did rapid in straight line moves. Sometimes I guess I am still running the LeBlond but standing in front of a Doosan. In some tight situations on first piece set ups I am by force of habit expecting a straight rapid move and when that is not what happens well frankly it takes me by surprise to say the least. But I am getting better. Never has it been a tool change or any interference issue just my nerves. I suppose you could call it a preference. If it is even possible to change the rapids and it was as simple as changing a 1 to a zero or some on or off switch somewhere then it would save me some under britches. I assumed it was a long shot but posed it to the board anyway and just maybe someone out there had done it before or knew how. Although I do feel it would be safe practice to hesitate and or verify any advice given before changing anything in my machine but would look into it just the same. I will just get used to it.
    Thanks Doug
    -Brent-

In case anyone is interested. The day shift guy found what I couldn’t and emailed me this and it worked just fine.

“On Page 780 of the big yellow FANUC series oi-MODEL D operator’s manual

Linear Interpolation of Axis in rapid mode can be achieved by changing the LRP Bit of Parameter 1401 from zero to 0 to a 1

Parameter 1401

#1 LRP Positioning (G00)

0: non-linear type Positioning

1: Positioning is performed with linear interpolation so the tool moves in a straight line.

-Brent-

Brent

Sounds to me like you've just got the jitters. That Baron 25/Mark Century was a grand combination in its day. I remember seeing it at IMTS 82. However, A LOT has changed in 1982. The Puma is much faster and the CNC response time is way quicker than the old Mark Century. With that said, I'd leave her along and run it, safely and properly and get used to her before you start altering parameters. When it comes to the jitters, nothing sends 'em my way like a customer monkeying with parameters.

Single Block on, rapid 0, feedrate 10%, and one step at a time.