587,034 active members*
3,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Any regrets on converting?

I've been lurking here for some time reading about conversions etc. At some point I'm going to jump into a CNC machine and I'm wondering if you guys are happy with your converted RF-45 mills? Would you do it differently if you were doing it again? Does it make more sense to bite the bullet and get a novakon or tormach?

Ive been a hobbyist for 4-5 years now. I just went CNC 6 months ago.
    I dont own a rf45 . I do own quite a few mill 6x26 knee mil , G0704 , Dnya2400, 9x20 lathe& SX1.
    2 are CNCed . My plan was to only convert my g0704. After owning the Dyna 2400 and G0704 I plan on converting everything to CNC . I wish I would of done this allot sooner.
    So far for my needs there isnt anything one can do that the other cant . In my case the cnc is all around just better for my application.
    They are really allot of fun.
    My advice get the biggest Mill you can afford. If your set on the RF45 try and get a IH mill or MTW IH clone.

Not set on an rf 45 just figure its the largest of its type (IH or MTW clone). For me its all about the the enjoyment of the hobby as well, I'm in no rush and I know MTW has a few ideas he's working on right now so I'm patently waiting what's coming.

I CNCd my little X2 a few years ago, but I used the dual shaft motors so I could put the hand cranks on to use it as a manual machine "just in case." I haven't used it manually since I CNCd it. There was never a need to. Honestly...pushing and holding a button to face a part off was a lot easier than turning a crank anyway. Once you learn some basic G-code, you can write simple programs to automate a lot of stuff.

I plan on getting an RF-45 mill next and it will get CNCd.

I CNCd my 12x36 lathe since then too. That one is still an ongoing project.

Also on the planning horizon is a CNC 3d printer.

Mike

Mike

I cnc'd my MTW MD-001. Glad I did go cnc BUT there are lots of little things beyond the big obvious stuff that need to be done on a conversion to make it "equivalent" to a ready to go machine like the Tormach / Novakon / etc: one shot oiler, way covers, properly installed limit switches, coolant nozzles, coolant tray, etc.

With a conversion, you can spend a lot of time (and some money) doing it, and still not be satisfied with the result... I'm almost satisfied with mine but there are some things still "not right" that I don't have the time to fix - I'd rather be using my time for machining hobby stuff than fixing / improving the machine.

If your budget allows a Tormach / Novakon / etc is IMHO the way to go...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    I cnc'd my MTW MD-001. Glad I did go cnc BUT there are lots of little things beyond the big obvious stuff that need to be done on a conversion to make it "equivalent" to a ready to go machine like the Tormach / Novakon / etc: one shot oiler, way covers, properly installed limit switches, coolant nozzles, coolant tray, etc.

With a conversion, you can spend a lot of time (and some money) doing it, and still not be satisfied with the result... I'm almost satisfied with mine but there are some things still "not right" that I don't have the time to fix - I'd rather be using my time for machining hobby stuff than fixing / improving the machine.

If your budget allows a Tormach / Novakon / etc is IMHO the way to go...

Mike
    I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a ready to go machine. But have the opinion in the long run it would be a better investment.