586,111 active members*
3,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Small business machine options on a budget

Small business machine options on a budget

So I'm pricing out small machines for after I graduate on December 21st and no longer have school machines available.

I'm looking to produce parts under 6" x 6" so I can get away with small machines. I also will be moving across country in a few months and need machines more easily shipped.

I'll be working with most common metals (Aluminum, Brass, Stainless and Carbon Fiber) and need something that can handle that, be on a budget of under $1k-$2k. I'm considering the Qu-bd but I haven't heard anything about it. There is also the Other-mill, again no information and looks flimsy.

As for EDM, are there any places that offer EDM services or laser cutting?

I'm on an iPad so I can't include all the info I'd like but looking for some help on pricing.

I see you are presently in PA. If you are moving "across country" in a few months. I ASSume that means the west coast. Why don't you wait till you're there, then shipping won't be much of a factor. Also, most small machines are Asian builds so they would be more available and probably cost less. Just a thought.

BTW, laser and EDM should be available in any industrial area and for parts as small as you describe can be handled by UPS to and from most anywhere.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by SMK_Fabrication View Post
    So I'm pricing out small machines for after I graduate on December 21st and no longer have school machines available.

I'm looking to produce parts under 6" x 6" so I can get away with small machines. I also will be moving across country in a few months and need machines more easily shipped.
    You have failed to indicate what you will be machining. A machine suitable for machining copper on a PCB is far different than a machine suitable for machining stainless steel bar stock.
    I'll be working with most common metals (Aluminum, Brass, Stainless and Carbon Fiber) and need something that can handle that, be on a budget of under $1k-$2k.
    Not a chance. Seriously you would have to go the DIY route and become very very good at scrounging to build a machine suitable for machining metals and composites. Even then the $1k figure would be difficult at best.
    I'm considering the Qu-bd but I haven't heard anything about it. There is also the Other-mill, again no information and looks flimsy.
    Baring more information neither one of those machines is suitable.
    As for EDM, are there any places that offer EDM services or laser cutting?
    Look up machines shops, water jet services, laser cutting services and what have you. There is hardly a city in the US without something.
    I'm on an iPad so I can't include all the info I'd like but looking for some help on pricing.
    If you are machining metal you want a real mill. Your six inch square work area might push you into a bigger mill than you want though. Taig through these guys, Products, comes close to your requirements but they are also out of your price range. Your next best bet is the conversion of an import mill. The third option is to do a machine build yourself. Your access to a machine shop is going away fast so you better act quick to do some of the basic components.

In a nut shell I don't think a CNC machine is in your price range, that will be suitable for what you want to do. This will force you to DIY something.

Even used 1-2k would be short for a metal mill. I am selling my Novakon 135 and expect to get $3.5k for it with cooling system,computer,etc. Don't forget about how much the "extras" are. Cooling systems, clamp kits, end mills,etc would eat half of your budget. After that you will need at the very least a bandsaw.

When I started my business I spent about $10k with mostly the basics (lathe,mill,bandsaw,sanding equipment,etc). Now 4 years later I am spending almost double that on bigger equipment.

What are you planning on making? You may want to talk to some of the guys here about doing some prototyping/limited production stuff to see if there is a market out there. Sell first and see if there is demand.

If you are planning on cutting anything aluminum I wouldn't recommend either of the 2 mills you listed. It would take hours to just cut through a 1/4" piece of aluminum...

-Keith