I have made well over a dozen parts in EMachine shops software, and had them make them. Talk about expensive though. Decided it is best to have my own CNC for prototyping, it is just cheaper. So I am on the hunt for a replacement that I can use with some cam offering that is TBD. Going to try importing one of my parts into Meshcam tonight and see what happens there.

Most of my parts are technically 2.5D not actual 3D. Thus, is there anything on the market that is close to that in terms of simplicity of their CAD designer? I have Viacad as well and I like it, but I keep going back to emachine shops. I find it quite simple and effective to work in 2D to make a 3D object even though most of it only required 2.5 CAM.

As far as I can tell the VCarve Pro seems a reasonable selection, I suppose I can add in cut3D later if I have to have a 3D part. I used Caligari's Truspace for about a year, I am not afraid of 3D designers but I also see without a doubt there is no need for that complexity for prototyping/hobby use when doing 2.5D stuff is all.

Any other CAD offering I should look at with a simple effective 2D type interface?