586,329 active members*
5,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Dual ballscrew drivers on x axis

Dual ballscrew drivers on x axis

I've seen a single ball screw configuration mounted under the table to move the gantry (assuming that is the x-axis), and I've seen a configuration where there is a stepper driven ball screw for each side. How is the dual stepper configuration hooked up. Can two stepper driver board inputs be connected in parallel to a breakout board output, so that they can be driven simultaneously? I'm guessing that the output signal of the breakout board is just 0 or 5v, for step or direction, so it should run the two parallel driver modules just fine. Anyone tried this?

Most people have the two motors "slaved" together in the control software. It's simple to do this in Mach3.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Does the slaving function in Mach3 basically sync up two axis outputs from the parallel breakout board, to be used as one axis on the machine? I hope that makes sense. I will be using Mach3, with the parallel cable interface, and individual stepper motor driver modules. I'm just trying to get the wiring picture in my brain. Thank you for any information on this.

Yes, you can "slave" A to X so the A axis moves the same as the X.

Re: Dual ballscrew drivers on x axis

Yes, I do this right now. (sorry to bring up an old post).

You can send the same pulse/direction signals to two different cnc drivers and have them respond at the same time. Or like said above, you can send different pulse/direction signals and wire the second axis a slave A axis in mach3 and they will work together as well.

I never liked the design idea of having a single ballscrew below the machine underneath. I can see how there would be issues cutting harder materials such as acrylic or metal when the material is not in the middle of the machine where the cutting force would allow the gantry to basically turn a little bit. My opinion is that if you're going to invest the time, effort and money to build a machine using nice components such as expensive ballscrews you might as well minimize any problems that may come along later. Don't be like me and try to save money up front only to redesign and rebuild the machine several times later spending many times more money and time.