586,728 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Markers for toolholders

Does anyone have suggestions for a marker for the Tormach tool holders? I bought one from the hardware store and it doesnt show up very well. I am looking for a suggestions for something that holds up reasonably well and visibility is good..

thanks
    mike sr

We use a white paint pen marker similar to this, Can't remember the brand we use right now. Uniball Paint Marker Pen Permanent Medium - Markers - Ryman

Kevin

Hello Mike, what exactly do you want to mark, just a reference mark or the tool number? If it's the tool number then I can recommend a Brother P-touch. I use a 6mm back tape with white text. This may or may not be what your'e looking for..
    Step

I've used a silver Sharpee, and a black Sharpee, but since I don't change uses of tool holders I now use a die grinder and small pointed carbide tip.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Hello Mike, what exactly do you want to mark, just a reference mark or the tool number? If it's the tool number then I can recommend a Brother P-touch. I use a 6mm back tape with white text. This may or may not be what your'e looking for..
    Step
    That gives me an idea! I have one of those Brother label makers that uses the really thin tape, I may try that and see how it shows up, the marker i have was made for fabric and it just doesnt show up very well.

Thanks for the replies, it gives me some ideas and suggestions ......
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr1 View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions for a marker for the Tormach tool holders? I bought one from the hardware store and it doesnt show up very well. I am looking for a suggestions for something that holds up reasonably well and visibility is good..

thanks
    How do you want to identify them? I have the Tormach tool tray on my machine. It has holes for 20 tools and those holes are numbered 1 through 20. I know what each tool is for in the tray when I set up a job. To date, I have never used more than 7 tools, but I'm sure there will come a day when I need more.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I've used a silver Sharpee, and a black Sharpee, but since I don't change uses of tool holders I now use a die grinder and small pointed carbide tip.
    I also use Sharpee, also DyKem Brite-Mark Markers SEPTLS25340003 - DYKEM BRITE-MARK 40 Markers - Amazon.com however both can be easily removed using alcohol.

Don

I think the marker I bought had been on the shelf for years ha!

Thanks for the good ideas and suggestions all, I used the brother label machine to make up some numbers, black on a white background, they look nice right now, after the coolant works on them they may not be so good..............

I did take Steves Idea and made up a holder for 9 tools, thats enough for any job I do, I have one on the arm but its full already as are the racks I made, I hate to change tools in a holder, so I have a lot of holders.......
    mike sr