586,616 active members*
2,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Help with strange jagged/wobbly cuts

Help with strange jagged/wobbly cuts

Hi,

I'm kind of out of the options here. I've tried everything. Basically my machine produces strange wobbly/jagged results as you can see from the image attached.

So far, machine worked great without any issues whatsoever. Transmission is Ahren's rack and pinion and drive is Gecko G540. Machine has been in light production for 4 years now. It's a 3-axis machine.

Issue is most prominent when doing circles and arcs, as if interpolation is wrong or something. I have throughly checked mechanics and everything seems to be in order, so my conclusion is that it's either some electric/electronic part or something in software. I'm running this on Mach3 (haven't changed versions, so it can't be that?) and I have tried to contact gecko to see if they have seen this behavior or if they have some idea - but they haven't responded at all. So much for support.

So guys, please, have you seen this type of issue before or have any ideas what might be the cause? I'm all out of options.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  

This doesn't look like anything that would be caused by electronic or software malfunctions. It looks a lot like the result of a mechanical problem. If your machine was working fine all this time, maybe something loosened up that used to be tight. Tell us more about your machine - what kind of slides does it have? What kind of spindle does it have and how is it mounted? What's the spindle runout? How much backlash are you measuring on each axis?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

My gear is: Ahren's rack and pinion, slides are Rexroth linear rail bearing size 25, motors Nema 23 size. I havent measuerd spindle runout yet though. Spindle is Kress and it's setup correctly
    backlash is 0.08mm

Cut it a a much slower speed. If it comes out good, than it's probably mechanical.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)