586,265 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How difficult is it to add a tool changer to a TM-1?

How difficult is it to add a tool changer to a TM-1?

Last year I bought a TM-1 for my workshop and have been really happy with it. Here in Europe the machines can't be sold with a tool changer due to European Union regulations regarding enclosed machines. If have found that on jobs which require a lot of tool changes I end up standing beside the machine and waiting.

As my warranty runs out this year I have been considering adding a tool changer to the machine later. Does anyone have any experience installing these and what might be involved? I'm not sure if the Haas dealers here are allowed to make the upgrade.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

If you find that the Haas dealers cannot help retrofit a normal tool changer to the TM what you could consider is the alternative tool changer system they have for the gantry routers. I think this is called a wine rack tool changer. All the tools are held in a linear rack off to the end of the table but just within reach of the spindle. You need to write a program routine to do the tool change.

Probably if you just bought replacement tool changer fingers from Haas you would be able to build your own system.

Thanks! I do believe the TM-1 can be upgraded with a normal Haas tool changer even if it was not sold with one. Of course if the Haas dealer here will do it, I will have them do the work. I have been very happy with the Haas dealer, their service has been super, so it's not that I have any problem with them at all. It just may be that they are not allowed to install the tool changer because of product liability issues.

It's all still pretty theoretical as I need to get the money together first anyway! :-)
    www.wilkins-knives.com