586,785 active members*
3,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

After giving belts an examination it seems that they may be the best option for me. Belts can be rolled up and easily transported eg suitcase, that would be a bit harder with gear track. I have family due for a visit to the island soon, so I will probably have them bring the belts for me.

I like Benny's design as well as a design from Europe, I will probably rig up a hybrid of the two machines. My only concern is the belt stretching. Is there a special type of belt for this application?

Jason

After thinking about this, belts do seem like the easiest and cheapest way to go. 10 feet rules out screws. Have not priced gear track, but seems expensive and hard to gear down and align. With a 5 foot wide gantry, I would think you need to drive from both sides. Use an axle at both ends, with split belts tied to the gantry. You would only need one motor that way, driving the axle in the middle, under the table.

Seems like everyone goes to SDP/SI for belts and gears.
    http://www.sdp-si.com/

Dang, this seems like a fun project, especially if you are getting some of the components for “free”.

Steve

Belts or Chains

I am working on my second build I have a 50 x 100" bed on my first cnc
    and I used sprockets and chains. I love them easy to work with smooth running and no backlash. I used the chain on the x because of the long run
    and the extra weight of the gantry. Also you can easly use a sprocket reduction. check out sprockets and chains @ mcmaster and carr.

Thanks and good luck Tom