586,094 active members*
4,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X2 BLDC Motor

The spindle controller on my X2 recently pooped the bed. I am trying to fix it and so far have grubbed out the following bad parts. MOSFET drivers, +12 & -12 vdc regulators all 4 of the 1n4004 diodes in the low voltage power supply and the transformer in the low voltage power supply. I now have the spindle turning but no control over it. I am going after the control gremlin next. If I find bad op amps I am going to need to abandon the search as I have no equipment with witch to remove and add surface mount components. If I don't fix it I am looking at replacing the motor with a BLDC motor from Keling. Does anybody have any history with this motor DC Brushless Motor KL23BLS-115 | Automation Technology Inc and this controller DC Brushless Motor KL23BLS-115 | Automation Technology Inc.

I would appreciate any thoughts, concerns and criticisms that anyone might have on my choice of motor and controller. Especially helpful would be comments from someone who has used this combo with success.

Thanks,

ROG
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
    who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

i wouldn't replace the motor if it's still good ? best bet would be to buy a kbic or a kblc speed controller from ebay . You'd be surprised at how much more umf your current motor will gain . I recently cnc'd another x2 , and after experiences with the first mill , the first thing i did on the new build was ditch the stock control and connected a kblc-19mod .
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Dertsap, Thanks for the quick response. Do you need an external power supply for motor voltage or is it developed on the KBIC19 controller?

ROG
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
    who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

it's integrated , you'll need the appropriate hp resistor , but there a guy on ebay who sells them for $5 each . You'd be looking at paying roughly $50-70 for a set up , unless your patient and wait for the best deal . A quick ebay search will come up with a good number of the boards . I'd advise getting one that has the top board included , it'll be easier to connect and they usually have a potentiometer built in .
    heres one that similar to the boards that i've got KB Electronics KBLC 19PM | eBay
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

If you need a pot and the appropriate resistor and you have a Baldor rep near you, they sell both as Baldor relabels the KB drives and sells under their own label.
    Al..
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.