586,481 active members*
2,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Which chuck do you prefer for the 4th axis and why?
Page 1 of 3 123

Which chuck do you prefer for the 4th axis and why?

What type of chuck do you have and why do you like it.

It looks like one can do just about anything with a 4-jaw chuck. Is the major drawback of a 4-jaw chuck is that it takes much longer for setups?

I like the versatility of a 4-jaw chuck but have a job coming up where I need to chuck up lots of the same size extruded aluminum tubing and a 4-jaw looks like it may take lots of time for each part.

I watched the Tormach 4-jaw chuck on a 4th axis and it looked painfully slow to setup.

Any one have any input?

Do any folks have both 3 & 4 jaw chucks?

Thanks so much,
    Nathan

Re: Which chuck do you prefer for the 4th axis and why?

Hi Nathan,
    I have a 3 jaw chuck for my 4th axis. If I am machining square or rectangular stock I use the mill and circle mill one end of the stock round so I can use the 3 jaw chuck.

Kevin

You pretty much nailed it on the head Nathan.

I use both regularly on my lathe and occasionally on the mill. I keep the 3 jaw on all the time since I can change parts in 8 seconds which is handy. The sacrifice for the speed is accuracy. If I'm running parts that actually need better than 0.003 concentricity I pull out the 4 jaw. 20 minutes to change the jaw, oil her up, check the threads and align the part... And I sure as heck bill for that time.

With the 4 jaw I can easily get dialed into low tenths in 90 seconds. Mag base indicator, TWO adjustment wrenches to hit opposite adjusters and usually 3-4 rotations and it's on. Well, first set up is a little longer since you have to start from eye balling it in.

How much trade off (time/accuracy) both depend on the jaw and set up... And skill. A high quality well set up 3 jaw can get down to 0.001/0.002 repeatability pretty easily... Mine is maxed out at 0.003 no matter what I do, but that's fine for 90% of the lathe work I've ever done.

Brian
    WOT Designs

The downside of a three jaw chuck is it is generally 0.003-0.005" out of tolerance. That is OK on a lathe, since once you turn the part, there is no error. Of course, as soon as you re-chuck it, you have a tolerance problem again.

Since you don't turn things to size in the 4th axis, but use it for repeated milling, I think you would be better off with a 4 jaw, which you can dial in to within 0.0005-0.001" quickly (with some practice).

Another option is to get a 3 jaw "true adjust" or "set true" (Bison or Buck) chuck, which has adjustment screws allowing you to dial in the part to 0.0005" with a dial indicator. Best of both worlds quick installation, quick dialing in... but kinda $$$.

I use a 4-jaw chuck for large odd parts, a 5C Collet chuck for fast precision chucking and a #3 MT taper collet in axis center hole to hold TTS colet chucks for small parts.

nitewatchman

I have been looking at a 4th axis for months now and this information is great!
    Anyone using 5c collet holder system?
    I was working on 05kevins method of mill a diameter at one side of stock and then hold it in a 5c.
    Or mounting material to A 1" dia fixture that can be held in 5c
    Nathan do you have a 5c holder?
    Do they have a precision locator pin to center in 4th axis?
    md

I use a 4 jaw SCROLL chuck.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks for everyone's great input.
    I was only looking at the chuck's Tormach sells. It sound like I could adapt other chucks if need be.
    I will try the 4-jaw and get use to it first and see if the repeatability doesn't cost me to much time. Would be nice to have both we will see.
    Best,
    Nathan

I have never herd of a scroll chuck, I will look it up.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    I use a 4 jaw SCROLL chuck.

Hi MD,

I do have one - this is the one I bought but have not used it yet,
    5c Horizontal Vertical Collet Holder 0225 0202 | eBay

It does have a locator ring that will fit the 4th axis plate for alignment.

Best,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I have been looking at a 4th axis for months now and this information is great!
    Anyone using 5c collet holder system?
    I was working on 05kevins method of mill a diameter at one side of stock and then hold it in a 5c.
    Or mounting material to A 1" dia fixture that can be held in 5c
    Nathan do you have a 5c holder?
    Do they have a precision locator pin to center in 4th axis?
    md

When using ground bar stock that is 1" or less in diameter for multi-part runs I use the 5C. 3 jaw is used on larger round stock or for "artsy" type aesthetic projects where tolerances are loose. Everything else gets 4 jaws of loving. Yes initial set-up takes time. I sure hate moving that 8" table off the mill table once I get it set and rocking out parts! The 6" is a LOT lighter (got it for my 770), but the rigidity and torque of the 8" make it my go to for rotary machining on the 1100.

Thanks for the insight, Pickled

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    When using ground bar stock that is 1" or less in diameter for multi-part runs I use the 5C. 3 jaw is used on larger round stock or for "artsy" type aesthetic projects where tolerances are loose. Everything else gets 4 jaws of loving. Yes initial set-up takes time. I sure hate moving that 8" table off the mill table once I get it set and rocking out parts! The 6" is a LOT lighter (got it for my 770), but the rigidity and torque of the 8" make it my go to for rotary machining on the 1100.

It sounds like one does not have to use a Tormach brand chuck but can use a metal lathe chuck (assuming it is in the same size range)? I assume it is helpful if there is an indexing/alignment ring/pin to center the back of the chuck with the 4th axis base plate to the face plate.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I have never herd of a scroll chuck, I will look it up.
    Thanks,
    A 3 jaw is a scroll chuck, all jaws operate together with the chuck key
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I use a Bison 5C collet chuck. For parts larger than the 1 1/16" collet ( shown below) I use a variety of step collets and internally expanding collets that can be turned to size on the lathe and used on the mill . Also I have a 5C mounted 5" 3-jaw with DIY adjusta-chuck that can be mounted in the Bison 5C chuck. I don't have to use a 4 jaw to get repeatable low TIR with this setup.

Don Clement

Don.
    Thanks for posting pictures "worth thousands of words"
    Does the 2nd picture show a internal expanding collet mounted in the bison 5c?
    md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Don.
    Thanks for posting pictures "worth thousands of words"
    Does the 2nd picture show a internal expanding collet mounted in the bison 5c?
    md
    Yes.

I use an ER40 collet chuck with a MT2 shank and drawbar on the 6-inch rotary. ER40 collets are almost as accurate as 5C and have a larger gripping range

The thing about 5C is that they are not just for round parts less than 1 1/16" diameter. Standard off-the-shelf 5C collets can hold square, rectangular, and hex parts. I hold large diameter 3" to 4" diameter parts in a 5C chuck using a step collet. There are internally expanding 5C collets that hold parts on an internal hole. Emergency 5C collets come in brass, steel and nylon which can be machined to a complex shape in the mill. 5C is named after Cataract an early Hardinge company. BTW I like Hardinge collets the best of any 5C type http://www.shophardinge.com/categories.aspx?catid=6746 There are 4 and 3 Jaw chucks that fit the 5C chuck. Manual Lathe Chucks | MSCDirect.com I use 5C in my lathe and mill. I take parts made in the lathe directly to a 5C collet on the mill.

Don Clement

Don,
    Thanks for the input and photos. Those are some impressive setups.
    -Nathan.

Page 1 of 3 123