586,471 active members*
3,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Thinking bout changing from water soluble oil to regular (Talk me out of it.)
Page 4 of 4 234
    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMachining View Post
    I've been using Blaso Cut 2000 CF for 2 years or so on the advise of a couple of local machine shops.
    It's a Swiss lube with very benign properties.
    No Rust, No Stains and great finishes.
    THE "CF"{chlorine free}, is specifically for aluminum.

I have recently discontinued using a separate tapping lube and it works just fine.

John
    How is the smell?

Re: Thinking bout changing from water soluble oil to regular (Talk me out of it.)

The smell is slightly oily but relatively mild and not objectionable (at least to me).

John

Re: Thinking bout changing from water soluble oil to regular (Talk me out of it.)

Thanks!

Where do you get it?

Blaso Cut coolants are available in Toronto from:

Triumph Tool Ltd.
    180 Trowers Road, Unit 23
    Woodbridge, ON L4L 8A6
    Canada
    Tel. (905) 850 2323
    Fax (905) 850 2322
    Triumph Tool Ltd.

Otherwise check out their website for your local distributor.

John

A quick update. After several months now using Mobil 776. I'm very satisfied. No rust or corrosion and smoke problems, probably because I drench the tool with coolant. No noticeable odor either. The sump pump and 1" line provide plenty of flow even with the Mobil 776.

Glad to hear it John!
    My experiment is coming along well too, absolutely no rust or staining.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    A quick update. After several months now using Mobil 776. I'm very satisfied. No rust or corrosion and smoke problems, probably because I drench the tool with coolant. No noticeable odor either. The sump pump and 1" line provide plenty of flow even with the Mobil 776.

John, this is a good read on coolants and cutting oil differences..

Cutting Oils for flood coolant.
    mike sr

Mike - the link wouldn't work.

John,
    The pump you used for your cutting oil on the Tormach, where did you get it and how is it working out as far as pressure and the seals holding up etc.

I am now using #2 usld diesel fuel, works really well, no stink as with the kero, but the flow is down somewhat.
    I have tapped over 100 5 mm thru holes 5/8" deep, no need for the tapping fluid I guess as I havent broken a tap yet, also no rust or corrosion either, I can also drill the holes without pecking, and the finish is really good as well.

I do need a bit more pressure though as it doesnt blow the chips away as good as it should.
    mike sr

I'd love to see vids of these in action with enough pressure to clear out the chips. I hated water based coolant. Went with air and jury rigged WD40 drip into the air stream (doesn't mist as far as i can tell), but it's a compromise for sure. And it's very loud.

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    I'd love to see vids of these in action with enough pressure to clear out the chips. I hated water based coolant. Went with air and jury rigged WD40 drip into the air stream (doesn't mist as far as i can tell), but it's a compromise for sure. And it's very loud.
    Personally I really like the fuel coolant, I can leave the vise on the table and know that it isnt rusting or corroding under it, thats worth a lot to me.
    It seems to work better in all areas except heat removal, there, it isnt as good as water.

I only use the machine intermittently and it works out very well for me in this regard. I think if one ran production every day water based would be ok so long as its checked regularly.
    I lost a lot of water based coolant to evaporation, I dont lose any to speak of with this setup other than whats left on the chips.

Some people say they dont get rust or corrosion using water based coolant, I was not so lucky here.
    mike sr

Page 4 of 4 234