586,287 active members*
3,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Bought an old 1991 Haas VF-1. No encoder signal output on any axis

Bought an old 1991 Haas VF-1. No encoder signal output on any axis

So I bought this machine cheap knowing it didn't work. There was a couple of diodes that have melted off of the IO board and had a bunch of alarms. Low batt, parameter alarms, etc.

Tested the diodes and they were good, so I cleaned the board up and soldered them back on.

Called Haas on the parameters and they had me punch in some debug codes, and it loaded basic parameters and cleared all of those alarms.

Replaced the battery. No more alarms!

Went to home the machine and it runs away. I E-stopped it before it hit the hard stops.

You can jog it by hand, really, really slow, but as soon as you stop, it keeps going. If you look at the readout, it shows the .0001 that I moved it and it isn't seeing the axis moving. You would think this would set an alarm?

This has the really old style motor control board that has a small jumper board for the encoders.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, my first post.

This sounds like a MOCON PCB problem or maybe a processor problem. I would have the HFO do these repairs, then if it's not one of the aforementioned items, you don't have to pay for the parts. When you replaced the battery did you install the jumper battery?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MNHaasGuy View Post
    Hi, my first post.

This sounds like a MOCON PCB problem or maybe a processor problem. I would have the HFO do these repairs, then if it's not one of the aforementioned items, you don't have to pay for the parts. When you replaced the battery did you install the jumper battery?

Thanks
    Thanks for the help!

I just started going though and testing voltage coming into the card. I had 5 volts coming out of the main board, but it wasn't getting to the jumper board. Started digging and found that the pins inside the connectors were either corroded or broke completely. I figured that if the board was bad, I would have to replace it anyway, so I snipped off the broken ends and soldered the wires directly to the pins. All good! All 3 axis move and register like they should.

Homed the machine, set parameter 64, which the previous owner kindly wrote down on the inside of the back panel, and changed tools, no problem!

Now it doesn't like to shift into low gear. When it does, it has an alarm 126. When you go to the diagnostics screen, you can see that it thinks it is in high and low gear at the same time. I pulled the covers for the head and it doesn't look like there is any way to get to the limit switches for the gear change. You would think there would be an inspection cover to get in there.

When you manually change gears with the solenoid, it does shift into low gear. You can feel it when you turn the spindle by hand. For now I just disabled gearbox in the parameters so it won't change. I do 99% aluminum, so it is pedal to the metal. No low RPM except when I use an edge finder.....

My other machine is a V-FO with no gearbox. Are these machines a lot louder than the non gear box machines? It seems pretty noisy, but I don't know what they are supposed to sound like.

Also, I was trying to find where you put the oil in for the gear box, but nothing popped out at me. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again!