586,655 active members*
2,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > voltage fluctuations - what is best for digital drives

voltage fluctuations - what is best for digital drives

Hi everyone

I have a brand new problem with my router, and I think I found the source of it: power/voltage fluctuations. I have to admit that for a 1 1/2 years I was quite ignorant about this issue, but during the last few days the problem become critical as many parts were damaged. Furthermore, the vacuum motor (a karcher vacuum cleaner actually) stopped working as well.

In short I am looking for the best solution to protect the router and also the outcome because with such fluctuation the router starts cutting wrong and damages all the parts I am working on.
    I have now both digital and analog Leadshine drives, but plan to switch all to digital ( DM442). 3Nm steppers, and unregulated power supply at 36v (320W).

My electronics experience is close to zero, so pls bear with me. The options I have in mind, given that the voltage fluctuations will most probably be there for the long term:
    - use an UPS online - the one that provides pure sinus wave. In spite of being more expensive, i think it can provide what exactly such applications requires. But not sure if I do not over-do it
    - buy a voltage regulator (AVR), but not sure what specs I need here

Power fluctuations are limited most probably to voltage fluctuations, as in 1 1/2 years never had a (unannounced) blackout. more specific, the power cuts must be very short, probably 1/4 sec at the most...probably even less.

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Marius

You could look at CVS, Constant Voltage Transformers such as made by Sola.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.