586,750 active members*
7,423 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > FastCAM/SLS Crashes *ALOT*

FastCAM/SLS Crashes *ALOT*

Does anyone else use the FastCAM or SLS offline software? I have "3-Axis FastCam I Version 257p" which I've tried on three different PC's, one was Windows 2000, the other two are Windows XP. Sometime while editing programs the application crashes and closes out. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? Anyone know what the latest version of the software is?

I guess nobody else has a problems with FastCAM

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does FastCam have to do with Milltronics?

No problems at all . . . I do not know what it is. (chair)

FastCAM is the offline software similar to what is on the controller. Also called SLS.

I thought SLS was another kind of conversational programming tool. One that was different than the one that comes in the mill by default.

I had used FastCAM for years. My mill has a 486-DX2 CPU and that is not very fast. If I ask it to verify a 10MB program it can take hours. So the best solution is to verify it on FastCAM running on my Pentium PC.

However I have not been able to get my copy of FastCAM to run on any of my newer XP computers. I do not have any other operation systems left except Win 2000.

The copy of FastCAM I have has me press <alt>F6 and <alt>F8 to get it running. Is yours that way?

Dave

Dave, I do not have to perform any keystrokes to get the software running. Once I double click the icon I see the banner page which displays the version number, then it's right to the main menu minus the Run and Jog menu items (as this is on a PC and there are no servos).

can you change the compatibility to windows 98 or 95. Just right click on the icon and choose properties then compatibility then choose 98 or 95.

rickyt

I tried that but it did not help (I am an old DOS user from of years). There are several compatibility settings and I tested many combinations. It just will not start up.

I should go back to Milltronics and try to get a newer copy of the FastCAM.

Dave

Fastcam....

Hello all. I have ben using a Milltronics Partner 6 for quite some time. For those who have a 486, or the centurion 5 controller, consider yourself lucky. Mine is a 386 16 Mhz. Any way to the questions at hand. Yes you can get fastcam 1 to run in XP. Just do a google search for DOSBOX. It is a sourceforge free file. It will allow you to emulate a true dos environment and fastcam does run on it. Yes you do have to push Alt-F6 and Alt-F8 for program start and tool change options because the buttons on your operator do not exist. Oh, and I called Milltronics on friday, they told me that I can get an upgrade for the software for $600 or a new version for $900.

I hope this helps

Turbo~

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what does FastCam have to do with Milltronics?
    Fastcam is a software produced by Milltronics.

Quote Originally Posted by single phase View Post
    I thought SLS was another kind of conversational programming tool. One that was different than the one that comes in the mill by default.
    There are two types of offline software. One is CNC and the other is SLS (Skill Level Select). The SLS software is helpful for beginnners. The are many versions on software. The version can be found by running the software and pressing the F10(UTIL) and then the F8(INFO). The version of software should be at the top.

The offline software (Fastcam or SLS) should work on all Windows systems with the exception of Windows Vista. Many times the command line in the properties needs to be edited depending upon the issue. Please see the attached document concerning Fastcam and installation onto the pc. If you have any specific questions please feel free to let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try "cnc d" The d option deals with keyboard stuff that caused my Fastcam to bomb out when editing programs(and navigating thru parameters)

Also the DOSBOX stuff works...

If you run "cnc ?" you will see all of the command line options

Note: a few items from the install documnet
    Command line options (all must be lower case) i.e.: c:\cnc\cnc.exe p /v0
    p Pentium <---- p has nothing to do with pentiums, it deals with some specific vidio cards

/v0 thru /v4 (space/v0) video resolution display modes, v0=640X350, v1=640X400, v/2=640X480, v/3=800X600, v/4=1024X768 <---- should say v2=640X480, v3=800X600, v4=1024X768
    m Monochrome display
    4 Post out G & M codes for the Centurion 4 control (Controls built in the 1980s)