586,713 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc OM soft limits reset?

I've got a Takisawa VMC with Fanuc OM that won't home out during the manual start up homing procedure. the z axis just continues at the homing feed rate right on past the limit switch, then overtravel alarms. Was working fine before it was moved (without the Z axis being blocked).
    I've been told that I need to "reset the soft limits"...
    Something about it being a key stroke procedure? Do any of you fanuc experts know anything about doing this?
    Thanks much for reading...

I believe that is only when you can only jog in one direction and the soft limits have to be reset by pushing a button combination at power up.
    On some Fanuc's you power off and as you power up again, push and hold at the same time the letter "P" and the "cancel"button. I don't have the manual here so I am not absolutly sure for the 0.
    But I would first check the switch is operating by pushing it on and off while checking the diagnostic inputs, to see if it is actually inputting.
    Usually if it travels to the switch then it may not be a software OT problem.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the reply Al. I will put a meter to the switch and make sure it's working first..... I was told the same thing now that you refreshed my memory, about the P & CANCEL buttons, but they failed to tell me that this was to be done during the boot up, I assume that is what you meant. Let me ask what is probably a silly question, but being there are 3 letters grouped on the "p" button, is there some way I should be selecting the p during this procedure, or just press the button with the p and the cancel button simultaneaously throughout the boot up?
    Thanks again!

The buttons should be pushed before applying the power, and kept pushed untill power up.
    I would test the switch first. The quickest way is on the diagnostic screen.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Smile Al is THE Man

Al,
    You ARE the man, did what you said with the power up procedure, and VIOLA, she homes out just fine! If you were close by I'd treat you to steak and lobster; I just saved some serious money. Hope for now my sincere gratitude will do, and I hope maybe I can return a favor sometime.... This site is great, because of the people participating in it, of coarse. I plan to visit often and offer what I can.
    Thanks again !