587,003 active members*
2,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What Causes This?

RECI Laser Tube has Cloudy Output Lens

I have an 80w RECI laser tube (less than which 10hrs use) which lost output power. Initially it worked as expected but recently I chouldn't cut anything thicker than paper. I cleaned all of the mirrors and lens and checked the alignment of mirrors (all were good). The output power seemed to be OK so I decided to change the tube. Luckily I had purchased a spare with the machine.

I compared the output port of the used and new laser tube and saw this. Can anyone tell me what has caused this? I'm reluctant to use the laser until I can understand why my first tube has failed.

[ SOLVED ] :cheers:

After a closer inspection of the tube, it looked as if the clouding was caused by debris being burnt onto the lens. Even though I had already cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and alcohol I cleaned it again but much more vigorously this time which did the trick. I'm surprised at how hard it was to clean off.

When the laser machine was shipped from China, it some how became very wet inside the crate. All of the cardboard boxes were waterlogged and there was mildew on everything except the laser machine as it was wrapped separately. I did clean everything as best I could but there may have been some mildew spores that I missed on the laser tube end.

Cool

Hello ,
    I am glad to hear you had sovled this problem . Just now I had talked to RECI manufacture . They also suggested that clean it by alcohol gently . Do not scratch and use too much strength on the lens ~
    It is very nice of you to share this with us ~

Best regards,
    Mary
    XYZ Machinery

If it looks clean you can try to put the tube back.
    I had the same problem but in my case I was the one responsible for dirt sticking to output coupler. I have two tubes laser I I had to cover one tube output windows to align their passes. Covering it with wrong material and too close to the tube window got some smoke stuck to the lens. I was lucky to find out about it because the lens started cracking.

BTW, I do not know about RECI tubes but on GSI tubes this metal aluminium ring at the tube end can be easily removed which makes cleaning tube lens much easier.

Hi Oz

On the RECI, the metal ring at the end of the tube is VERY firmly pushed on. I tried to loosen it by using a screwdriver as a lever but it wouldn't budge.

Luckily all of the contamination was on the outside.