586,955 active members*
2,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

From some of the PM's I get, it seems we have many "lurkers" who feel more comfortable "one on one". As long as we are having fun and maybe even learning a few things!

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Help

I am new to working with CNC. I have been involved in machining and making cutting tools for 30 years, but never with CNC. I have a benchtop mill from Industrial Hobbies that is ready to go. Now I have to learn how. Is there a specific thread that I can get on to ask questions? Thanks in advance for any help. It will be greatly appreciated.
    Mmorton9

Quote Originally Posted by mmorton9
    I am new to working with CNC. I have been involved in machining and making cutting tools for 30 years, but never with CNC. I have a benchtop mill from Industrial Hobbies that is ready to go. Now I have to learn how. Is there a specific thread that I can get on to ask questions? Thanks in advance for any help. It will be greatly appreciated.
    Mmorton9
    Their are plenty of forums to ask questions just pick one

I suppose I'm one of the non-posters but this is probably going to change . I had problems getting registration mail at yahoo, but then I figured out that yahoo filters cnczone messages with a spam filter :P

I have already built three CNC-routers. Fourth is under the way (actually a retrofit for a commerical mill).
    http://www.students.tut.fi/~kontkant/

Yo. :wave:

Just Starting Out

Hi Everyone,

I am just starting out and really know nothing about anything (or everything about nothing). I "retired" from software engineering and decided to try a second career in clockmaking/model engineering. My plan is to buy a small cnc mill and lathe. I have decided the Sieg/Syil conversion looks about right for me. Haven't decided about the lathe yet.

One complication is that we are waiting to sell our house in Northern Virginia so that we can move into our house just outside Sarasota in Florida, so getting heavy machinery up here and then having to move it is something I want to avoid if possible.

I bought a copy of TurboCAD 11.2 Professional and am teaching myself that. I also bought some clockmaking books and the Wingrove model car books so I am keeping busy. I have of course read many of the threads in the forums here.

Thats about it

Regards

Norman

hi,

I am experienced mold designer, have done many projects on Pro-e.But, prefer mastercam for machining of molds.

Newb intro...

Hi all, just signed on today, didn't even give myself a chance to lurk (already posted in "benchtop" about Emco PC Turn/Mill 50s__awaiting moderator approval).

Screenname/real name. I play with sportscars, and sometimes I even get paid

Just got these last week, now I need to learn how to run them (strictly a self-taught manual machine operator at present). I am fortunate in that I got all the associated parts, manuals, software required, all for the lofty sum of $100.00 USD. Definitely one of my better purchases!

I managed to get the lathe set up, but still need to do some clearing out before I can get the mill on a bench.

More pictures at: http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album151
    Randy Forbes, Sports Cars Plus, LLC
    www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3

Hello.....I just purchased a 48x96 TECHNO ROUTER. It was between it and the Multicam. Hope I made the wright decision. Any way glad to find this forum. Im sure I will get a lot from it.
    Keith from Houston Texas
    Owner of I- 45 Signs

Re: Welcome thread-tell us about you.

Hi Balsaman; I'm new to CNC Zone also I juat bought a Luxcut 13x40 Lathe made in 1983 for $500.00 It needs a Little work to run. I am going to breath some life back into this baby and repaint it so I figured if I need help this is the best place to get it. We can pick some well seasoned brains here and pass some knowledge on this is a good thing. I'm also going to post the before and after pic here. Good luck and welcome to the Zone.

Thanks, I moved my welcome to a help section under the engraver section.

you can find my help post forum thete like i was told to do.

Quote Originally Posted by balsaman View Post
    From some of the PM's I get, it seems we have many "lurkers" who feel more comfortable "one on one". As long as we are having fun and maybe even learning a few things!

Eric

Hello, world!

I'm a hobbyist with a particular taste for DIY projects, customisation and general tinkering.

Hello all. I just purchased my first lathe - a Central Machinery 9x20 that already has a couple mods such as a quick change tool post, etc. I am searching for a small benchtop mill as well. I am brand new to machining and am just looking to learn.