586,966 active members*
2,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 24 of 422 1422232425263474124
    Hi all.
    My first post I have built two machines. I bought the controler and steppers from supertech. Thk rails from Ebay lead srews local.
    It works great. will include a picture I can explain things in more detail later.
    I make a lot of wooden toys and sell them at our local market.
    ( Sorry I do not know how to add a picture.)
    Mytoy.

Hi,
    To introduce myself upon request ;-). Since a couple of years I'm experimenting with a homebuilt Zoltar-machine with a driver kit and motors from www.nc-step.de. Software PC-NC, BOcnc. Still learning, still reading.... Only recently found and besided an alignment error which caused frequently X-stepper stalls. Also mended a faulty wiring to an end-switch. Did several succesful trials like name plates, front plates, small epoxy plate parts. Now working on a project to draw and mill parts for a 500pF 3kV air capacitor, both alu and perspex. Possibly swapping the X-spindle for a ballscrew in the near future. Also added a Shumatec DRO scale kit to my RF milldrill which works really great. Trying to keep up with the pace here.
    Regards,
    Dirk, Netherlands, EU

New member posting in

Hi Rekd
    I just signed in a few days ago, coming over from the machine builders.net forum, who sent me to your site.
    I travel from Iowa, through the midwest and to the east hitting machinery auctions throughout several states buying all types of used machines and tooling to keep and sell on ebay.
    I haven't ventured deep into the cnc market because I lack knowledge on just about everything in this area outside of tooling that looks cool and expensive.
    When I left the machine industry in 1980 due to a layoff at an FMC crane factory here in town, the tape machines were just coming in.
    Oh!! to say the least how things have changed.
    I have to hand it to you guru's out there that do this as an everyday experiance of your lives.
    It just blows my mind what you guys can do.
    I have a small shop put together for doing rebuild work on a small scale to make parts and rebuild what is neccesary to put an old dog back to life.
    I mainly deal in the hobby size machines, but have been moving over to gear and screw machine tooling along with other industrial lines.
    I am currently cleaning up around here from about 5 years of buying and burying to make room for more.
    It just had to come to a stop so I can regroup.
    I have a good share of cnc machine center tooling that is no dought old (not live tooling). We think it might be Miyano, but so far, no one has recognized it. There are tool holders for the front slides and tooling that would fit the turret, simular in style to a small warner swasey turret lathe.
    Most of the tools have a prefix of 477 in the stamped part numbers.
    If anyone knows or recognizes these numbers, please let me know.
    I also have a pair of new, square style linear rails, which might be from thompson, I haven't taken any measurements of these yet. They are about 10 feet long and were still wrapped. Do you guys use this type of thing in building your cnc projects at home? I remember having the blocks too, but havn't located them yet.
    I listed a Hardinge CHNC headstock on ebay last week and was surprised how many people were wanting to build a cnc lathe with this head. I guess, projects and challenges never end. It sold with a buy it now, and we have another one available, and also a Hardinge AHC headstock coming up soon.
    Can anyone make suggestions on what cnc folks are looking for in used tooling? We will try about anything
    Thanks again for the welcome, Randy

Doing a search for cnc, I foung your website. Been lurking as I can.

PC user for work, Mac user by choice. Rebuilt two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen ('cept electrical), laundry and dining room from the studs out. Sportster rider and wanting to turn it into a Cafe, and the reason for the cnc search

I'm a complete newbie but understand what CNC is. I want to make my own parts for my bike and since my accuracy level with hand tools is not very good, I'd like computer assistance.

I do not have any tools other than mechanics and carpentry.

I'd like to know what's needed, what's not, etc. My shop space is limited and I think the largest items I'd make would be 4' square. My wife wants me to make signs (using fonts & clipart from my computer) and bird houses with fancy cutouts (laser?). I'd like to make accessory clamps, racks, & small replacement parts (plastic, aluminum) for bikes and stuff around the house.

I did take (pen & paper) drafting in high school and enjoyed it very much.

What about software? I'm on a limited budget and although I use Windows, I prefer Macs. Software suggestions for designing parts and conversion to cnc code would be appreciated.

I found a 3 in 1 machine that's relatively inexpensive and is cnc compatible. I understand the setup is longer on multi tasking tools.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Hi,
    It's my first post.
    I'm using a 5 axis cnc milling machine.
    I'm workin gin france
    This forum is a great sources of informations for me
    Thanks for all
    Rien n'est perdu tant que tout n'est pas joué!

hi im mike

Talking

:wave: :cheers: :wee: :drowning: hi rekd and everyone else,sorry no posting here i think i need another sceen to watch both forums ,came from mastercam ...:banana: wow theres alot more gremlins on this forum :rainfro:

Hello and Happy Holidays to all ! My name is Mark. I have some machine shop and sheet metal experience in the aircraft industry, and woodworking at home here in the heartland of the USA. I stumbled onto this site while looking for a router on eBay and seeing a couple of people offering plans for DIY tabletop CNC routers. What a cool site ! The wealth of imformation here is astounding ! I have never worked with CNC machines, but I could certainly learn. Once I find the happy medium between what I'd like versus what I can afford (the Great Modifier) - I may just have to build me one of these things !

I "joined" a few months ago after stumbling across this board. I've decided that I would like to tackle building a machine later on, but I've got too many unfinished projects right now to start something new.

I enjoy skimming the posts and learning little tidbits from the folks who have been playing with this stuff longer than I have been alive--I'm sure.

So, consider me an interested lurker who will get around to building one of these machines "someday."

Sorry about the not posting, I am involved with running 2 forums myself so I understand you wanting folks to post more, but things have been put on a back burner for now. I lost my father on the 4th of December and have been busy trying to help Mom cope with things, they where married 52 years so this may take some time.

You have a great site here and I do want to be a contributing member, but for now both my time and my funds are going to care for the one who cared for me... Mom. I am sure you all understand.

Chuck

Newbie, not so new

Hi!

I posted a few weeks ago, 0 replies this week I tried another question, 1 reply, which was great, the impression I had was that one has to be initiated to get in here, I know nothing, or next to nothing about CNC and came here to learn how to go about learning. I found the interface difficult.

Disapointed, Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    I was looking thru the list of users and was shocked to see that 3/5th or more of the members have ZERO posts.

I'd like to say WELCOME to all the new members, and to the old members that haven't posted.

I'd also like to extend an offer for you all to chime in and say hullo, mayhaps tell us what you do, how you're involved in CNC etc. We'd love to hear from you!!

(group)

'Rekd

Southbend lathe prompt turn information: I would like to have a manual for my 1982 md

:devious:
    I was looking thru the list of users and was shocked to see that 3/5th or more of the members have ZERO posts.

I'd like to say WELCOME to all the new members, and to the old members that haven't posted.

I'd also like to extend an offer for you all to chime in and say hullo, mayhaps tell us what you do, how you're involved in CNC etc. We'd love to hear from you!!

(group)

'Rekd
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm a forum newbie and am still figuring out how they work.
    I'm CNC Maitenance for a living. I'm also trying to convert mill/drill and enco 12x36 lathe to cnc using steppers and hobby cnc driver.
    working on making acme 10 tpi screws right now.
    Have found CNC Zone very helpful.
    Thanks Wayne

Joined recently

Hi All,
    I've been enjoying reading through the wealth of information contained in these pages.
    I've been working on a Bridgeport knee mill conversion to CNC with my brother and most of the mechanical & electrical parts have been made / purchased.
    We're hoping to have some thing moving in the next couple of weeks.
    All the best
    Dave. (UK)

Hello - First Post

Hi, I am Adam. I use a V2XT 3 axis Bridgeport at work. I am considering a home machine and debating an upgrade to an old machine or a retrofit. I am also considering a 3 axis router project.
    That Mach program certainly looks interesting. This is a great site.

Sounding Off

Hi folks! Just thought I would put my 2 cents in. I have been a machinist since the mid 80's living in South Florida, but moving to the Nashville area. The wife and I want to live where the language of choice is english again. I have been programming and running CNC mills for about 12 years. At first I programmed line by line in notepad, but last 8 yrs with mastercam. I have basic knowledge of mastercam including 4th axis indexer. I would like to learn more about surface creating, just for my own benefit. I came to your forum months ago looking for info on editing post processors for more accurate cycle times with the setup sheets created with mastercam. I eventually wrote to our distributor who was able to send me a post that was better for the cycle times. Your forum is a great place for tradesmen and hobbyists alike to help one another or just share thoughts. Thanks for everything.

btw I will be in need of a job in the Nashville area Feb. '07 if anyone has any tips for me. Thanks.

Hi Folks

Putting up Posts is all new to me so Hope this works.

Ive been reading online for couple years about making cnc machines. I was
    surprized when I found it could be done by somebody like myself.

Last year I dug in my scrap pile, (Im a Pack Rat of scrap metal that others
    think belongs at the city dump.)

Other than motors and electronics, I had everything I needed to build my
    cnc machine. even made my own circuit boards using the ucn8504 chips, and
    added some power resisters for extra boost.

Asking around I found people willing to give up there out of date printers
    which were headed for the dump. Thus I had motors for my cnc.

Here is a link to pictures of my home made cnc machine.
    http://home.bresnan.net/~dustie-bear/Tools.html
    The email links on this page are not up to date so dont try emailing me from there please.

Regards
    Dustie

I now have one post!

(group)

'Rekd
    I now have one post. Are you happy ? <grin> Like myself, most of us are trying to get the idea for that first machine. I am gathering parts, got three steppers and controllers, 3 24 volt power supplies, trying to decide between black pipe and drill rod with brass or roller bearings. Haven't seen anyone using 1" square tubing. Thought about gilmer belts instead of acme threads. Found myself at the local farm store's threaded rod rack trying couplers on rods to see the slack. So just put me out there as an interested observer who is gleaming ideas for my ultimate first machine. Steve

We all learn from each other, no matter what. big guys to little guys. To make everyone better, infomation must flow freely... I think that is what the this site means to me, I'm a total new guy to cnc, but if I can help with my 28 years of the manual world and welding insite, that's great. I want to learn cnc and MasterCam9.1. As I bought a cnc 14x14 K2, I thought I would take my 28 years and just push the buttons to make the little projects I have had stored in my head for along time. WOW what a wake up call to my brain. Ihave learned a lot from the cnc zone and I hope I will continue to learn alot... I'm not lurking in the shaddows, just looking for the info that I'm looking for. Thank you cnc zone for bring all these people together.The company I bought the maching from told me of this site... 9lrac9

Hi all, I'm not on this forum that long and I used it momentarily just to orient around in CNC..
    It's a great help and you guys have a lot of cool machines!

Page 24 of 422 1422232425263474124