587,003 active members*
2,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: cutting tips

cutting tips

Hey guys just got a new job running a plasma cam 4x4 with a miller spectrum 625 extreme attached and have got the machine cutting but was wondering about cut speeds by metal size. I Currently have it cutting 14 gauge at 70 ipm at 30 amps.The dross left behind does take a bit to get off, is this normal any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Re: cutting tips

I don't know about plasma cam but the miller specs say approx. 150IPM. If you cut to slow the arc starts to hunt for material to cut and will leave dross behind. Try speeding up until it gets better.

Mike

Mike what i have tryed is cutting 2 inch square , we started at 20 amps and 50 ipm and increased the speed by 10 ipm increments, was not able to get over 70 ipm before it stopped cutting through.
    repeated the same procedure at 30 amp setting and got same result . last night tryed it on aluminum checker plate and was not able to get over 55 ipm , plus with the aluminum i ended up destroying 5 tips. very fustrating

I guess I would crank up the amps to 40, make sure your cut height is at specs. Check orings (had one go bad on me caused issues), all consumables, and internal filter.
    Make sure your clamp is on the work piece.
    Good Luck
    Mike

Thanks for Response Mike ill give it a try at 40 and see what happens , clamp was on work piece.

For optimal cuts on 16 ga mild steel with the 625 extreme @ 40 amps, cuts speeds between 175 - 200 inches per minutes should minimize slag. The closer you can get to 200 IPM (without getting jagged edges), the better. Cutting hot and fast usually reduces the accumulation of low temp slag, which can be pain to get off (low temp slag fuses to the steel creating a weld).

Spraying a little bit of the anti-splatter nozzle spray on both side of your sheets can help reduce slag accumulation and makes it easier to clean off if any is remaining slag.

You might want to get the 40A machine shield (part # 249 937) and Shield Sensing Tab (Part #263 310 - for plasmacam's advanced height control). My friend uses this set on his plasmacam and it seem to get the job done.

I use the hypertherm pmx 65 on my machine and it works like a dream.

Hopes this helps,

JAG

tips will help and benefits other new users
    www.dongtai168.com www.dongtai1688.com
    gem processing machine