586,471 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fixtures and clamping ideas

I need to a way to clamp some long thin (22mm) boards to my table so i can machine the entire topside flat (about 150mm width)

Been looking around for solutions and havent really found anything usefull most are hoding with vacuum and its not possible here. Any ideas of fixtures you could buy or make some quick clamp solution would be ideal.

The widest boards i will be machining is about 200mm to 250mm so thats what the vice/fixture needs to open.

Do the edges have to be clean too, or can they have notches in them (like a biscuit joint) thinking the clamps could key into the notches.

how many boards? Double stick duct tape is pretty amazing stuff of you don't have a ton to do.

I have made wedges from baltic birch too, glue and screw fences down to the sacrificial board, use the wedges doubled up and tapped tight with a hammer to push the boards against one of the fences.

i want to make the top square with the sides so double stick tape doesnt work, the sides on this particular project is going to be a glue joint so it doesnt matter that much but i imagine there will be other boards that it will do.

They make cam clamps that work with t-slots. Also MiteeBite makes a clamp that works with an eccentric bolt that I use on my small machine.

I should note that the common way to size and square boards is to plane the faces flat FIRST, then joint the edges square.

If you can hold it from the sides you may use some close deep scrap and a screw to the table, the scrap with a hole offcenter so when you tight the screw it turns pressing the piece (two on each side) first side could be fixed and then tight with the other side... I'm not sure it could work but it may be usefull depending on what you are going to machine.

JS

Quote Originally Posted by KKamel View Post
    i want to make the top square with the sides so double stick tape doesnt work, the sides on this particular project is going to be a glue joint so it doesnt matter that much but i imagine there will be other boards that it will do.
    If you don't have vacuum, double stick tape is pretty much the only way to go. It's an even thickness so space it every so often and you should be good and the sides will be square to the top..

Cam clamps from the side might work as well but they can cause the workpiece to go convex on top if you clamp them down too hard.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com