586,395 active members*
2,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Superfly insert aligment

I just got a SuperFly cutter. WOW.
    I was noticing that the insert doesn't sit with a surface quite square to the material. Is that OK, or do I need to try and shim it? So it's cutting with that short edge of the cutter down at the surface and almost flat, but not quite. Does that change the surface finish?

Yes
    The flatter that edge is the better finish you will see. It is a "Wiper" face.
    You should be able to orient the shank in the holder and lock it down with the set screws in the proper position.
    You should not try to shim the insert in its pocket.
    The flatter that face is will determine how fast you can feed and maintain a good finish. If your finish cuts are really slow it will not make much difference.

I hope that helps.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Thanks Scott. So you are saying adjust the bar in the TTS holder to get the best flat?

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    So you are saying adjust the bar in the TTS holder to get the best flat?
    Exactly

You can do this by inking the work with a sharpie and Z down in 10ths while swinging the cutter by hand and checking the cut by eye.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Hopefully this isn't too off topic...

What feeds and speeds are you guys using with 6061?

With my incorrectly installed tool (it's not flat) I've been using 2100 RPM @ 300 mm/min (sometimes 150 mm/min if I want it to be extra fine).
    I usually take off a maximum of 1.5 mm per pass while roughing and shoot for ~0.1 mm for the finish pass.

Thanks Scott.

Hirudin, I'm just learning. I'll post more when I get better.

3" WOC - 25IPM - 3000RPMs (polish insert & a little flood coolant) works great as a finishing pass on 6061-T6. The same insert will also finish titanium (with a beautiful finish) at those same settings (.0005" - .004" DOC) but I have noticed the insert started chipping...$$ I just recently purchased the Tin coated 45° insert, we'll see how that goes on Ti. I haven't cut any steels yet, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I recently put the TiN-coated "general" insert in the SuperFly through 17-4 PH (Condition A, which I've heard is sticky compared to the aged grades of 17-4 PH). I noticed a couple things.

First, the surface finish suffered as a result of the insert not being square with the surface. I've made some mirror-like finishes on 6061 (see my youtube videos for some input on feeds and speeds), so I was surprised that the 17-4 surface felt serrated as a result of the insert being out of square.

Second, the feed and speed is more challenging in 17-4 PH (Condition A) to get a good finish. It's clear that the stickiness is affecting surface finish. I get some rippling from chatter, and I'll also be left with what almost very small chips stuck to the surface or tiny curls of metal that didn't get cut completely off. I've been playing at .010" DOC with the tool set to about 2.5 WOC (and a 1.1" wide piece of stock), feed rates of 15-20 IPM, spindle speeds of 750 to 1500 rpm, no coolant. The 6061 has been very forgiving running at 2500 rpm and 30 IPM (as a baseline) with a variety of cut depths and I'm practically making mirrors with flood coolant.
    Christopher Anglin
    www.mc2racing.com

Chris this might work for you

shars.com - SEHT 43 1204 AFTN YBG205

Nice. I'll get a few and try them out.
    Christopher Anglin
    www.mc2racing.com

Okay, after closer inspection, it is already pretty flat. I very slightly shimmed the bar as suggested. NICE cutter!

We had a pretty good discussion awhile back on this. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...flycutter.html

And here is a video from that thread

Super Fly Tests - YouTube

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Chris this might work for you

shars.com - SEHT 43 1204 AFTN YBG205
    sorry for the intrusion....twocik....I tried to send you a PM but it says your mail box is full. I have a question regarding square hole probing wizard.

Pete

Hi Pete,
    I just made some room, go ahead shoot.