586,377 active members*
2,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haimer 3D Probe and Tool table

I just purchased a Haimer 3D probe and plan on using it to set the origin on parts, X, Y , Z. I currently use a master reference tool that is longer than any of the tools I use so my tool length offsets are always a plus number. The Hamier is shorter than the original master tool, I will have some tools that are longer than the Haimer, assuming I will have to put negative values in the tool table, any known issues in Mach when doing this?
    Pat

Nope. I set X, Y, Z zero then pull out my edge pro technology height setter and place it on a repeatable surface: table, fixed vise jaw, top of fixture outside of stock.

Click 'offsets', click G59, run the Haimer to zero and zero Z axis on DRO.

NOW at any time during the program if a tool breaks I can reference it without the Haimer or opening the tool table.

In the (height block thickness) or whatever it's called is 0.079" (half the thickness of the ball). Any tool I need to ref just jog into the height setter, type the tool number, and cyclic one button.

If any of that didn't makes sense I'll look at the actual button name in a few when I fire the machines up.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Nope. I set X, Y, Z zero then pull out my edge pro technology height setter and place it on a repeatable surface: table, fixed vise jaw, top of fixture outside of stock.

Click 'offsets', click G59, run the Haimer to zero and zero Z axis on DRO. (edit: that's zero on the height setter not the Haimer)

NOW at any time during the program if a tool breaks I can reference it without the Haimer or opening the tool table.

In the (height block thickness) or whatever it's called is 0.079" (half the thickness of the ball on metric version ). Any tool I need to ref just jog into the height setter, type the tool number, and cyclic one button.

If any of that didn't makes sense I'll look at the actual button name in a few when I fire the machines up.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Brian
    WOT Designs

I set my TLO on the bench with a height gage and manual entry in the tool table.

Just as easy. Just type negative into tool table when part is longer.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Setting the master tool's length to "0" seems completely impractical to me. By setting the master tool's length to its actual length you may then set all your other tools' lengths to their actual lengths. No math or negative numbers required. Changing the master tool is also basically effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by Praymond1209 View Post
    I set my TLO on the bench with a height gage and manual entry in the tool table.
    I do this as well, I dont really use a master tool, I have a center drill mounted in a holder, I use that instead.

I start the program I want to run, it will go to tool change position, then z down to the workpiece, zero the first tool it calls for in the program to the top of the part, and I am good to go.

I never understood the need for a master tool, as all the tools when entered all are zero to the part surface, zeroing the first one in the program is all I have found necessary after the program is started.
    mike sr

My master too is an indicator that Is set to zero with the height gage on the bench, all other tools are either longer or shorter than this indicator, no math just manual entry in the tool table. This is the tool "O"
    This is what the manual for Mach 3 describes as what to do.
    Thanks, Pat

I use a Haimer on my Tormach. I put a TTS ring on it and carefully measured it's length with the needle at zero using the offline TTS measuring setup and put that into tool #99 Then I measure the other tools using the offline setup and plug the lengths into Mach. At setup time, set the tool # to 99, jog the Haimer to zero and click the zero button for each axis.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I use a Haimer on my Tormach. I put a TTS ring on it and carefully measured it's length with the needle at zero using the offline TTS measuring setup and put that into tool #99 Then I measure the other tools using the offline setup and plug the lengths into Mach. At setup time, set the tool # to 99, jog the Haimer to zero and click the zero button for each axis.
    I have a Haimer with the 12mm shank that fits in a TTS end-mill holder & do exactly the same as you, but my tool # for the Haimer is 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Neill View Post
    I have a Haimer with the 12mm shank that fits in a TTS end-mill holder & do exactly the same as you, but my tool # for the Haimer is 101.
    I picked 99 because somewhere I read it's a default probe tool for Mach (so thus maybe not the best choice if you also have a probe), plus it's easy to type and far away from my tool numbering scheme