586,911 active members*
4,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser out of focus?

gday, my names jesse, i am new to this and just got a chinese co2 laser cutter engraver 2nd hand. i think its ms1280d, i am setting it up and have leveled the table and started adjusting the beam. i got the tube to fire in the center of the first mirror and when the second mirror is close to the tube, it fires a small dot in the centre but when the second mirror(on the left of sliding arm) is far away from the tube, and the laser is shot, it makes a large burn dot, a lot bigger then the first. ? i have swabbed the mirrors clean but still the same. i am hesitant to swab the tube cause its expensive and i couldnt find anything telling me you could. i guess i am asking if anyone has had this problem before or know any possible soulutions/actions.
    thanks for reading all.

also, i have noticed signs that there was a fire in the machine before, could this be why the beam is getting wider and fuzzier as it gets further away from tube. i also noticed that the previous owners had probly cleaned the mirror with a rock cause they scratched the f%#k out of one. so i found a clean one and swapped it for the one next to a tube (there is 2 heads and 2 tubes on laser) and started alligning but found same problem of fuzzieness as it gets further away..... has anyone got any suggestiopns of something to try? im stuck. ill keep searching but anything will help.
    thanks again

Hiya Jess,

Check the output coupler on the tube (the lens at the output end) it may be dirty or damaged.

cheers

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya Jess,

Check the output coupler on the tube (the lens at the output end) it may be dirty or damaged.

cheers

Dave

Thanks for reply dave, i had a look at the end but it didnt seem dirty but i am unsure of whether i can use the acetone and swab to clean it. will this damage it or is it the same as a lens or mirror?
    cheers

Hello,

The output coupler is an extremely sensitive optic. We use a bulb air device to blow on it, and do not clean them with acetone.

I would venture to say that the fire in the machine should not affect the laser tube, or else it would be broken. Replace the mirrors and test again. The laser tube has a divergence rating. Divergence is typically given as a multiplier value, such as 1.1. So, if the laser beam is 1.1 (meters or yards) from the laser tube, then the beam is 10% larger than at the laser.

If the laser tube gas has been consumed then the beam will not look correct. Below are photos of a RECI tube that lost its gas

Attachment 204238

It is a good idea to check your power supply to make sure it is calibrated properly and not consuming the gas too fast. See How to test and set a Chinese (China) made CO2 Laser Power Supply to get long life from your CO2 Laser Tube for your Laser Engraving and Laser Cutting Machine System

As for the fire affecting the machine, check for warped components, such as the base table or machine enclosure. The laser may need a complete alignment, including aligning it in its support stands. The mirror holders should be okay, as they are adjustable. Also, check all nonmetal components for damage, such as belts, wiring, tubing, and electronics.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

The output coupler is an extremely sensitive optic. We use a bulb air device to blow on it, and do not clean them with acetone.

I would venture to say that the fire in the machine should not affect the laser tube, or else it would be broken. Replace the mirrors and test again. The laser tube has a divergence rating. Divergence is typically given as a multiplier value, such as 1.1. So, if the laser beam is 1.1 (meters or yards) from the laser tube, then the beam is 10% larger than at the laser.

If the laser tube gas has been consumed then the beam will not look correct. Below are photos of a RECI tube that lost its gas

Attachment 204238

It is a good idea to check your power supply to make sure it is calibrated properly and not consuming the gas too fast. See http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-test-and-set-a-Chinese-China-made-CO2-Laser/

As for the fire affecting the machine, check for warped components, such as the base table or machine enclosure. The laser may need a complete alignment, including aligning it in its support stands. The mirror holders should be okay, as they are adjustable. Also, check all nonmetal components for damage, such as belts, wiring, tubing, and electronics.

Thankyou for all the info grawley, nuch appreciated. I think i have stumbled across the problem,i think its to do with water, and that the laser has been set up incorrectly i think cause it has 2 laser tubes but the inlet water and outlet are not in same ports(the 2 tubes are also connected by a tube, which I assume is wrong), I am assuming that they should be individual. There are 2 pumps with it but i think one is not doing anything. i cannot find a diagram on net with info on where the inlet, outlet and linking tubes are correctly labeled. Does anyone know if the double laser has same water running through both tubes in one cycle. To me this seems wrong. The manual is in broken english and i cant make sense of it.iI will try upload these photos and maybe someone can guide me as to which hoses go where. till then thanks all

Hello there ,
    I had a reseach just now with tube manufacture ,according what you mentioned about the laser spot . Then we got 2 mainly possibilities following :
    1. the emissivity of lens is not good ; the dirty or damage mirror ; if the coating file on lens surface was lost ; Have you consider replace a new reflecting mirror ?
    2. the tube problems . I heard that you mentioned it was a 2nd hand . The tube is quite probablely out of gurantee .

Double heads and tubes we also product . I think that your two tubes must connected by a tee joint . If you can check on your machine . Your idea they should be individual is correct cause it's cooling effect will be better than a single water pump . We have done this machine using individual water pump to support two tubes . Only connect the inlet and outlet correctly ,and make sure it circulating well .

Here is my contact : MSN :[email protected]
    If you are convenient ,we can talk about on this .

Best regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by jestalavita View Post
    Thankyou for all the info grawley, nuch appreciated. I think i have stumbled across the problem,i think its to do with water, and that the laser has been set up incorrectly i think cause it has 2 laser tubes but the inlet water and outlet are not in same ports(the 2 tubes are also connected by a tube, which I assume is wrong), I am assuming that they should be individual. There are 2 pumps with it but i think one is not doing anything. i cannot find a diagram on net with info on where the inlet, outlet and linking tubes are correctly labeled. Does anyone know if the double laser has same water running through both tubes in one cycle. To me this seems wrong. The manual is in broken english and i cant make sense of it.iI will try upload these photos and maybe someone can guide me as to which hoses go where. till then thanks all
    Nothing wrong. I have a laser with two tubes. They are cooled from one chiller with same water. The laser comes with one inlet and one outlet from/to the chiller. However the tubes are not connected together for cooling, water goes in and out each tube individually.