586,395 active members*
2,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Facet mystery

I discovered something interesting about Sprutcam last night. It involves using the 2-D contouring operation on a curve. I cut two identical parts which were cam profiles about 3" in diameter using what I thought were two identical tool paths. One came out with the very smooth curve I was expecting and one came out with fairly wide (about1/8") facets that approximated the curve and pretty much ruined the part. The simulation showed no difference in the machining results no matter what resolution I ran. After much trial and error adjusting settings, etc.,I realized that I had generated the two curves in two different ways. The first way was to select the face of the profile and then project it to the z-axis to generate the curve. This is what I normally do and it produces the smooth cutting result. The second way was to select the edge of the profile to generate the curve. This produced the ugly faceted result. My CAD software is SolidWorks if that means anything, and I always use the SW native format. The edge selection resulted in a single continuous curve and so there was nothing to join. I've read complaints from others about faceted cuts but this is the first time it has ever happened to me. The biggest problem is that the user doesn't see the problem until it is too late and the part is actually cut. I'm using the latest build of SC7. - Terry

Terry,
    I always use the top edges of the curves to select for 2d contouring and I havent had a problem with it yet, good to know about though.

Usually when I have a problem with sprut, it goes back to something in my model. I was trying to contour a long profile curve and it placed an extra start and stop in it, everything looked good in the drawing all joined and a solid but sprut didnt like it. I went back in rhino and deleted the surfaces and resurfaced the model in the problem areas, re exported it and it was fine after that. I have had 3 or 4 instances of this over the last few months, and in most instances it went back to the model. I had a problem with it selecting all the holes after they had been highlighted, I didnt redraw that one yet but it hasnt happened before so I suspect it is a drawing anomaly as well.
    mike sr

Hi Terry

Here is another weird one.
    If you select a curve on the model it will use G2/G3 moves.
    If you select the same curve from the list of curves in the feature pane it will output a bunch of G1 moves to approximate the curve.

I don't know why but it does.

Scott

Ps. I am following the 18 radial over at HMEM. It is looking GREAT !!!
    www.sdmfabricating.com