587,035 active members*
3,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori Seiki SL-1

Hello everyone,

I'm a 17 years old student from belgium.
    somehow, my teacher want me to put a computer to a Mori-Seiki SL-1 .
    I dont have any Operating Manual of this machine.
    I know some G-code's, but i think there are many others for the Mori Seiki SL-1

My question is :

1. Can i do that ?
    2. and if i can do that, with what program should i run it? maybe Mach3?
    3. Should u have a Manual of the Mori saiki or G-code tutorials?

Operating Software on the Mori-Seiki SL-1 is Fanuc T6.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    Regards, Yoenes

Are you intending to remove the T6 Fanuc control?

Hello BSavulis,

I'm not intending to remove the Fanuc control, i just want to attach a computer on it so i can see what he's doing, its like attaching a monitor to a cnc lathe.
    Do i have to search a software for this?

Not going to happen, Think of the technology back then VS today's computers,
    Those old guys dont have hard drives and such and Im quite sure there is no interface
    to make the old language on board the machine to give you useful info on any new computer

One thing I have been seeing people do as of late on their mills, They put cameras on the machine
    to monitor via phone anywhere you happen to be located, Something Im looking into

i did a research on the internet and i found something. it called DNC Remote Data Transfer ... So what if i can send and receive files from the CNC to my computer using a RS232 ? that would solve the problem? Ok its not an external monitor... But its the same thing... I can edit it en send it to the cnc machine? But the problem is... If this works what i'm saying here right now... What software should i use than? and how can i set this up? and i know that they put IP Camera's into the machine my teacher set this a week ago in the milling machine... but the computer that i use is a Windows 98 . And why? Because its the only way i could mount the RS232 into the pc and into the CNC ... so.. euhm... i am thinking about to put a DNC software into the computer and trying to link the CNC ? or shouldn't that be a great idea?

Your research is correct, Depending on control, You may already have the interface
    to run your part programs from and back to your desktop.

But its not something that will give you any useful info while the machine is running

Im not sure on the T6, there may be a hidden option some Fanuc wiz here may be able
    to help you do this, But I assure you, there is nothing, once the program is loaded
    into that control, Play solitaire or work on something else with the desktop.
    Because the machine does not have any graphic interface, even digital location such
    as DRO. Like I said before, look at the date that machine was built, In
    early 1980s. Heck, Software was just coming out on the old apples, and
    there was no hard drive, the operating software was loaded by 4 1/2 floppy
    (If anybody even recals those)

So I hate to shoot down your quest to merge early 1980s technology to todays, aint going to happen

The best you can wish for is pushing a part program though a serial cable at 9800 baud
    one direction or another

i remember 8" floppies, and paper tape.
    You can run the T6 in tape mode (DNC) on the old Mori, and using a camera can do some of what your trying to do.

Yup, My first real job as a programmer right out of High school, I have many shelves lines thousands of plastic boxes of punched tape

Hey Guys, Thank you for your help, i will tel you tommorow what year it was build in and if i may, i should take pictures of it .