586,121 active members*
3,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Converting a Laser Printer into Laser Metal Marker

Hi
    May be my question will be crazy but I think it is possible to convert a laser jet printer into laser metal marker. My Idea is that there is a low power laser diode used in laser scanner unit in printer and a reflection motor send the laser dots at printer,s drum which effects the surface of the drum and charged for toner. My question is that is there any way to upgrade laser power diode and the reflector into High power laser beam which should be capable to write on the metals.
    Hope that the positive response will be come from forum members.

In theory yes

In practice no as you won't be converting a printer, you will have a laser maker that happens to have a tiny number of similar parts to a printer. The diode is the wrong wavelength for marking metal directly and orders of magnitude below the power level you would need.

cheers

Dave

Sorry Exsecratio, but you do not understand real problem with high power diode.
    Wavelength is OK or near OK. YAGs are 1064 and didodes are aroung 800-900nm.
    There is no problem to build near 1000nm diode.
    Problem is to drive diode.
    There is no efficient way to switch on/off high power diode fast enough.
    This is why diodes aint used straight but as pumping elements for YAG or Fiber lasers
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

ut you do not understand real problem with high power diode.
    Maybe I do but do you really think the chap is going to understand what switching is let alone the wavelength issues if he want's to convert a printer?

Getting the wavelength isn't an issue (I was pointing out the one in the machine is the wrong wavelength) 940nm and 980nm are easily available as substitutes without going to diode stacks or DPSS units or fibres.
    What he is asking is can he modify a printer, my response was a simple no with a basic reason why not.

It's like converting a Ford to a Ferrari, possible in theory but what you are left with from the ford is probably only the ashtray.

cheers

Dave

There is a much easier way to mark metals with a laser printer.
    Get transfer paper from the magic touch , use it in the laser printer , heat press it on the metal ..you can not only get black but you can transfer full colour to not only metals , but wood , acrylic etc. The mark is very durable if you post bake it after the transfer.

google "CLTT" or color laser toner transfer
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za