586,845 active members*
2,542 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What's up with McMaster Carr?

Sorry for the off topic post but I logged into McMaster Carr to order some hardware and got this response when I tried to browse fasteners...
    "We apologize for the interruption.
    To protect product information, we limit search activities on our web site. Your use exceeds typical patterns of our visitors, so we have restricted access."

I tried to send them an email and that would not work through the "Contact Us" section on their web site.
    I'll call them tomorrow.

Too bad cuz MC had a really well set up web site and it would suck if I had to call and make an order and not being able to research and find the part myself and easily order on line.

Have any of you experienced this?

Gerry

Never mind. I cleared the cache in my browser and it seems to be working so far.
    Carry on
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

No, and I order 100s every week.

This has happened to me a couple times in the last month. A 24 hour lockout is excruciating. .. I need my mcmaster fix.

Anyways, the second time it happened I just logged into my 2nd account (work email vs private email) and was back up and searching.

I will say it is very annoying, but I understand they need to protect themselves. A friends first job out of school (the company was very similar to mcmaster) involved lots of looking up pricing for comparison purposes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

very irritating indeed!
    I browsed briefly then it said restricted access and to log in which I did, then I got the restricted access message again.
    mike sr

This is a very common occurrence for any of us outside of the US. Very irritating when somebody links to something on their website, you go there to have a look, and by the second click you get that message and you can't proceed further.

I actually called the support line and was informed by the nice lady that the feature is used to protect the McMaster website and she again apologized and told me that I would have to wait the necessary 24 hours. I was PO'ed but waited and ordered the parts I needed.
    What you gonna do????
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    I actually called the support line and was informed by the nice lady that the feature is used to protect the McMaster website and she again apologized and told me that I would have to wait the necessary 24 hours. I was PO'ed but waited and ordered the parts I needed.
    What you gonna do????
    Bill
    Go to the Grainger website. Or, MSC, a specialty supplier, whomever. And make sure that McMaster knows they lost a sale. You got the "customer non-service" lady. Unless McMaster is a sole source/fabulously low price deal, why reward bad service or a terrible customer experience with a sale? Negative feedback works.

I just got an email, stating that my access should be restored and sorry for the inconvenience.....
    mike sr

I got the same message last night, but refreshed and all was good. I do use MMC fairly often to download 3D part files for my CAD software, so perhaps that has a bearing on "search patterns" they don't like.

Given their wonderful history I would guess this was a glitch. I have ordered from them for many years and probably thousands of times and I can forgive them the occasional issue. There was a time I couldn't use their site in a particular web browser. They fixed it within a month.

If I sound like a McMaster fan boy, that's because I am.

I use Spaenaur, they have a crappy website but if you get a catalog they have tons of fasteners etc.