Hi guys,

I have created some software which is compatible with Mach3 and which might interest you. It uses the probe to measure the Z height precisely at many points on the surface and modifies a GCode file to calculate a more accurate tool height during the etching process.

When milling a PCB I would get very uneven results before I wrote the software, with large areas of my PCB completely untouched by my tools. An autolevelling software seemed to be the best idea, but there didnt seem to be too many around, certainly none that were particularly easy to setup or use. Therefore I created my own autoleveller software: AutoLeveller - The height adjusting CNC software.

This helped me, helped others and will hopefully help many more. Here are some pics from my site which hopefully demonstrate what the software does.

A circuit milled without autolevelling:
Attachment 203440

A circuit milled after autolevelling:
Attachment 203442

My site contains a couple of videos,so check them out if you are interested. As the 2nd video demonstrates, you are not limited to PCB's either. If it has a metal surface then you can probe it and you can level it.

Check out my site to see other benefits, instructions and to download it - its free and open source. Its written in Java so it will run in Linux as well.
If there are any issues with the software, let me know here or on my own forum. I am happy to help www.autoleveller.co.uk/forum.

Sine the probe is so fundamental to the autolevelling process, I made a quick guide for setup: www.autoleveller.co.uk/probeGuide.html

best,
James.