586,263 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko 540 and VFD 10VDC Question

Gecko 540 and VFD 10VDC Question

Gecko's manual suggests that maximum voltage of the VFD 10VDC line (pin 9) is 12V.

The NowForever D100 series VFD that came with the machine is rated at 12V; however the multimeter suggests it more like 13.4VDC ?

I'd rather not cause an issue with the G540 - I could rig up a Variable Output Voltage Regulator (LM317T) to convert this to 10V; however doing so is a bit of a pain.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I wonder whether you could knock it down enough by simply putting a light resistive load on the output.

Put a few diodes in series with the "10v" line. Each diode should have a 0.7 volt drop but it could be as low as a .3v drop so just measure the voltage and keep adding diodes until the desired voltage is reached. Remember diodes only work in one direction

Thanks for the tips - greatly appreciated !

i think 10VDC is PWM output and analoge?
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

that does mean 0-10 Volt analog to vary vfd speed remotely,from controller or PC.
    this is not for a on/off function

Agreed.

The challenge is the VFD reference voltage (VFD +10V) from the VFD itself, rather than the VFD control voltage output from the Gecko.

The Gecko manual states a maximum of 12V in, and it is spec'd at 10Vdc. However this VFD is rated at 12Vdc and supplying 13.4Vdc.

Another challenge to be solved to avoid letting the smoke out

Cheers,
    Brad.

Well being it is a 0-10 volt or 4-20ma. 2 volts divided by .020 amps = 100 ohm resistor to give you 10 volt input ref. 1/4 watt resistor.
    180 ohm if drive is measuring 13.6 volts

Erick

Re: Gecko 540 and VFD 10VDC Question

I don't mean to dredge up this super old thread, but I figured what I have to add may help someone like me who was looking for answers.

You can set the output of the AO1 terminal to 10v (or really anything between 0 and 10 volts) then use this to feed the G540.

Look at setting P0-027 in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbasher View Post
    I don't mean to dredge up this super old thread, but I figured what I have to add may help someone like me who was looking for answers.

You can set the output of the AO1 terminal to 10v (or really anything between 0 and 10 volts) then use this to feed the G540.

Look at setting P0-027 in the manual.
    Dredging up your response to an old thread. I'm making a new thread about a similar issue but I wanted to get your thoughts on this. The manual is decidedly difficult to understand but almost all the P0-027 parameters seem set A01 to be proportional to the output of the VFD which is definitely not what we want. We won't get 10V if the frequency isn't set to 50hz and the frequency won't be at 50Hz if the output isn't 10V. Circular reference. Or am I reading it incorrectly?
    Attachment 259832

Actually, you're reading correctly... I should edit my previous post but can't seem to do that... Anyhow, what I said is incorrect It turns out the output I mentioned varies based whatever you set it to output. Generally, it will go up and down with speed, current, etc. (in short)

I had thought I could make it work but it did not and I hadn't had a chance to come update this thread. What I ended up doing was putting a pot off the 12v output of the VFD and then adjusting it such that I would get full speed from the VFD when the G540 was set at full speed. Works great now. If you do this, I'd recommend connecting your multimeter to the input on the G540 and watch it closely as you adjust the pot so you don't go too high.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbasher View Post
    Actually, you're reading correctly... I should edit my previous post but can't seem to do that... Anyhow, what I said is incorrect It turns out the output I mentioned varies based whatever you set it to output. Generally, it will go up and down with speed, current, etc. (in short)

I had thought I could make it work but it did not and I hadn't had a chance to come update this thread. What I ended up doing was putting a pot off the 12v output of the VFD and then adjusting it such that I would get full speed from the VFD when the G540 was set at full speed. Works great now. If you do this, I'd recommend connecting your multimeter to the input on the G540 and watch it closely as you adjust the pot so you don't go too high.
    Too late.
    The bad news is I had already hooked it to the full 12V output and probably fried it. The good news is it isn't your fault.

Well, I know for a fact I've put 12 volts into that input on my G540 already and it's fine. Just don't leave it like that.