586,670 active members*
3,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Laser machine threads ???

Hi all
    I'm trying to find some good DIY laser threads.
    I built a cncrouter .. which is now used all day everyday earning me a living
    I'm considering building a laser cutter for cutting MDF.
    I've browsed back a few pages here... but I'm really looking to see if there is a "DIY" section ?
    Thanks
    Richard
    My 1st Build (ongoing) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/134670-one_big_one_smaller_my.html

you won't find a DIY build section for lasers on this site. I think most folks just buy something. buildlog.net use to be dedicated to DIY lasers, which has plans, but that site has drifted into printers lately. In the end there isn't much to a laser cutter that you couldn't get anything answered on line. The controls can be complicated unless your willing to pay the price for a DSP controller. Good luck

There is some information here.

Tweakie.CNC - CO2 Laser Cutting.

And here.

The Laser Project.

Here's a small compact 2W Laser YouTube Video.
    My Laser - YouTube
    cheers
    Bob Adams
    CNC Projects

Bob, that is running pretty darn slow for a 2W laser diode and I don't think it will cut MDF. I run at 50IPM with my 1W 445nm doing raster photo engravings on birch ply. It looks like you may have your focal distance off considerably. My laser diode focuses about 3" from the material down to a .007" burn line.

1W 445nm Laser Engraving Shades of Grey With PicEngrave Pro 4 - YouTube

I believe Richard is looking for a DIY CO2 laser cutting setup for his CNC machine.

Jeffery, Great laser project! I'm new at using my 2w laser.
    Thanks for your input.
    Bob
    CNC Projects

Thanks Bob,

There is allot of helpful information in these two threads concerning laser diode engraving, even how to properly focus the laser diode.

PicDither - PicEngrave - PicLaser. - Fórum

Diode Lasers. - Fórum

Here is a video of our latest build where we used two 2-1/2W 445nm laser diodes focused to the same intersecting focal point of .004"-.005". It has intense power and we can run at a feedrate of 225IPM on Birch Ply engraving a 8-bit image.

Dual 445nm Laser Diode CNC Photo Engraving - YouTube

We started over a year ago experimenting with a 445nm and developed a new process to vary the laser diodes power using an analog modulated laser driver. No pulsing the laser diode. We can also use TTL modulation like you do to engrave photos. I'm JJWMACHINECO in the HOBBYCNCART forum and we have come a long way in the past year. You should come and join the fun with us.

Jeff

so are these smaller diodes only good for 'etching' things? I'd love to make one to cut balsa, but guessing that requires a much bigger laser.
    Wood neophyte.

Hello Richard, I think we have things you need if you have will to build your own laser cutter.
    We are manufacturer offers made-up laser machines. At the same time we also supply full line of laser components & optic parts to some laser producers.
    More info find out here: Laser Manufacturer & Supplier in Singapore - Sintec Optronics Technology Pte Ltd

Hope could do something help to you..

Piero
    Focus in Laser Marking/Engraving, Laser Cutting, Laser Welding devices.
    [email protected]

woohoo ! the thread breaths

I'll have a good read through and look at all the links
    yes, AFAIK, I'm after a CO2 Laser.

My 1st concern is safety ... I like the fact I can see ! I'd like to keep it that way !

What kind of eye protection should I be considering ? and how much to spend on it ?

Am I right in thinking the laser can reflect off something and do a lot of damage ? or is that an urban myth ?
    My 1st Build (ongoing) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/134670-one_big_one_smaller_my.html

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyCNC View Post
    What kind of eye protection should I be considering ? and how much to spend on it ?

Am I right in thinking the laser can reflect off something and do a lot of damage ? or is that an urban myth ?
    An acrylic cover of ~5mm is completely 'black' for CO2.. wearing extra protection is nonsense then, imho.. But you need to cover your workarea
    Yes, a beam can reflect on metal surfaces. You may see some reflections of the bed on the back of what you are cutting but you won't get any markings on the cover as the beam spreads quite fast. Yes you can start a fire but if you use enough airassist and ventilation, the flames will be predictable (you know what materials under what conditions will create flames.. I know paper protective sheets on Acrylic panels can burn.. But my fire-extinguisher is still unused :-)
    Yes, some materials can produce toxic gasses.. A good ventilation is essential...
    An urban myth? yes and no.. you should never leave a laser work unattended, but when lasering a image on a stone i'm not afraid to go to the toilet..

Kees

I found this one..

http://buildyourcnc.com/blackToothLa...dEngraver.aspx

Which leads to to believe you can 'build your own', as they have done it. Seems like a decent machine from what I can see, a hell of a lot less expensive to put together than those 15k commercial machines.
    Wood neophyte.

Making a laser of wood?? can be cheap but is absolutely not-done (imho)
    This is my laser, complete build from scratch, my own design and build it in about 2 months
    Attachment 204228
    Kees

Nice looking machine. Looks like a solid design.

The thing I see about that wood machine is that the tube travels with the Y axis. Keep in mind that you would be carrying the weight of the of the tube, first mirror, wires and the weight of the water in the tube. You would be forced to go with lower accelerations and possibly lost steps. Also these tubes are driven by about 25KV which I wouldn't want to be near. Also the tube is in the smoke stream. Its seems far safer and simpler to locate the tube in a rear compartment away from everything. You would just add about 100mm to the depth of the machine.

Also V bearings make sense for routers but not for lasers. Who ever came up with this concept was obviously comfortable with a router and extended the concept to a laser which isn't the way it works. I wouldn't consider that design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Nice looking machine. Looks like a solid design.

The thing I see about that wood machine is that the tube travels with the Y axis. Keep in mind that you would be carrying the weight of the of the tube, first mirror, wires and the weight of the water in the tube. You would be forced to go with lower accelerations and possibly lost steps. Also these tubes are driven by about 25KV which I wouldn't want to be near. Also the tube is in the smoke stream. Its seems far safer and simpler to locate the tube in a rear compartment away from everything. You would just add about 100mm to the depth of the machine.

Also V bearings make sense for routers but not for lasers. Who ever came up with this concept was obviously comfortable with a router and extended the concept to a laser which isn't the way it works. I wouldn't consider that design.
    Why does a wood machine have to break the standard laser machine rules ?
    It can still have the tube in the back, and mirrors for the beam transport !

Wood machines can use Hywin or supported rails too ??? Mine does