586,912 active members*
3,374 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: V26 upgrade

Page 9 of 9 789
    Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Nope. Confused myself with some V25 work I did. But, I can save a crib out. You?
    My original install was a full download from BobCAD (not demo). When my disks arrived I did a simple Control Panel uninstall, nothing fancy. I always let BobCAD install where ever it feels like it. You are correct, when I hit save in the toolcrib dialog the button indicates a "click" but nothing appears to happen.

I recall reading something in the install notes that mentioned that the tool and holder definitions had moved. One difference I noticed between the old V25 Milling Technology folder and the V26 Technology folder was the omission of the DefaultTools.defmtools file. Is this what you see?

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    Is this what you see?
    Yes. Those are omitted here too.

Attachment 210574

It also appears the app itself is in charge of the folders/paths. The registry is now empty for these.

It is something with your install, because the save button works here.

If you do try re-install or repair, try right clicking and run as admin on the installer.

Does the disk have a single install executable? Or is it broken up? If single, copy it to the computer first, then run it.

Not that it means anything to this, but it's worth a look. I setup a looksee and clicking that save button, has my Norton go nuts looking for a software class on .mtcribs extension....

Maybe look if you can set that extension as an exclusion in your security/virus software and see if it helps the save.

I'll give a re-install a shot tomorrow and make sure I launch it as administrator. If single installer, I will try to move to the hard drive first. I'm glad to see it is just my install. Thanks, I'll report back.

I get the same thing as SBC. I can't save the tool crib and the Save button does nothing. I also can't import a tool crib (created in V25 and then moved to a V26 folder). I've tried running as an administrator and it does not make any difference. Definitely something going on there. I'm running the Demo version off a download and I don't use any antivirus products of any kind on my workstation, including Windows Defender or whatever it's called (everything like that disabled). Running build 1134, but I haven't heard that there's been an update yet anyways.

I'll give a re-install a shot tomorrow and make sure I launch it as administrator. If single installer, I will try to move to the hard drive first. I'm glad to see it is just my install. Thanks, I'll report back.
    Ok, don't jump through any hoops now. I just figured out I made a mistake (Same as when V25 was released). I believe the save button doesn't work and waiting for a fix. My bad...........Sorry about the hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    I get the same thing as SBC..
    Yup... You are correct sir!

You're right mmoe, I was mistaken as well. Load crib doesn't work either.

No worries, I am expecting an update soon and I haven't put a lot of work into the tool crib just for that reason.

You're right mmoe, I was mistaken as well. Load crib doesn't work either.

No worries, I am expecting an update soon and I haven't put a lot of work into the tool crib just for that reason.
    Wasn't sure if anyone has reported it or not, so I submitted a bug report. Hopefully it's already been discovered and will make the first update.

Edit: Just got an email back from Bobcad stating that the next release will have this resolved within a couple days from now, so it's apparently already known and being addressed.

Thanks for submitting the problem and the update mmoe.

Re: V26 upgrade

So long V25. The 267 files we did together was lovely, but it's time to move on.
    I don't know why I was thinking about this thread today but it occurred to me that it has been almost exactly 1 year since we purchased V26. Of all versions of BCC, V26 was the most trouble free and productive of any of them.

I took a peek back at the last year and was surprised that I did less than I did with V25. Then I looked at the time I owned V25. We purchased V25 in May '12 and upgraded to V26 in Nov. '13. That's an average of 15 unique parts programmed a month.

In the last year with V26 I've programmed 246 individual part numbers, an average of 20 unique parts a month. Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with that kind of efficiency. "DMS" and "Copy/Paste" have been the biggest time savers. It's so nice to open a file that's similar to what I'm currently programming and have my speeds, feeds, stepovers and allowances right there where I left them. Now if I could just copy the entire Machine Setup in one shot....

Anyway, yes I'm proud of myself a bit but I also wanted to give a tip of the hat to BobCAD. We are in our 8th year straight of record sales numbers since we dove into CAD/CAM and it was the best thing we've ever done since going CNC. A lot of CNC guys I talk to snicker when they hear I'm using BobCAD but they are pretty well green with envy when they see what we are doing here in our small shop. We bought it for the price, we stuck with it because of the continual improvement from BCC and their uncanny ability to give me the extra power we needed - right when we needed it.

We've already committed to upgrading to V27. The only reason we haven't done it already is because I know myself and I would be "playing" with it, lol. I just don't have time for that right now but it's coming soon. Looking forward to playing along with you folks that have already upgraded. Cheers :cheers:

I don't know why I was thinking about this thread today but it occurred to me that it has been almost exactly 1 year since we purchased V26. Of all versions of BCC, V26 was the most trouble free and productive of any of them.

I took a peek back at the last year and was surprised that I did less than I did with V25. Then I looked at the time I owned V25. We purchased V25 in May '12 and upgraded to V26 in Nov. '13. That's an average of 15 unique parts programmed a month.

In the last year with V26 I've programmed 246 individual part numbers, an average of 20 unique parts a month. Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with that kind of efficiency. "DMS" and "Copy/Paste" have been the biggest time savers. It's so nice to open a file that's similar to what I'm currently programming and have my speeds, feeds, stepovers and allowances right there where I left them. Now if I could just copy the entire Machine Setup in one shot....

Anyway, yes I'm proud of myself a bit but I also wanted to give a tip of the hat to BobCAD. We are in our 8th year straight of record sales numbers since we dove into CAD/CAM and it was the best thing we've ever done since going CNC. A lot of CNC guys I talk to snicker when they hear I'm using BobCAD but they are pretty well green with envy when they see what we are doing here in our small shop. We bought it for the price, we stuck with it because of the continual improvement from BCC and their uncanny ability to give me the extra power we needed - right when we needed it.

We've already committed to upgrading to V27. The only reason we haven't done it already is because I know myself and I would be "playing" with it, lol. I just don't have time for that right now but it's coming soon. Looking forward to playing along with you folks that have already upgraded. Cheers :cheers:
    I GOT THE V-27 upgrade love it all my stuff from V-26 go right in didn't take but a few hours to be sending programs out and Run parts.(only thing new to setup is your machine)XYZ cords but that's a cake walk only have 184 new programs with V-27 But I did have to Update some old V-26 to the faster tools we got

BOBCAD Great job on the V-27 love it

"Only" 184 programs?? Holy hell that's a lot of files in a short amount of time. You'll have me beat by a mile, even if it is adjusting some older programs!

I'm really glad to hear that you are using V26 files in V27 and didn't mention a lot of issues. I tend to make my adjustments in the same version it was created in. I've had issues where my stepovers change, offsets change from "Machine" to "System" and other oddball things when opening old files in newer versions. The toolpath updates in V27 are just the ticket for some of the parts I run on a continual basis. The Z finish, going from Top ---> Down, pushes a helluva burr in some of the tougher materials that I work with that requires a lot of hand work to cleanup. I think taking a finish pass going Bottom ---> Up will fix a lot of that - maybe. Guess I'll be finding out soon!

Thanks for the feedback.

V26 has been outstanding really. It's been exceptionally stable and the toolpath strategies are really at the point of maturing. I've been experimenting with bringing V26 files into V27, and so far they are generally very compatible. One thing I notice is that there are some occasional difference which are a result of the additions provided in V27 to the same toolpath, so you still have to keep a close eye on what's going on. I had a recent file where I expected a climb milling final pass in "Flatlands" since it did so in V26, but it ended up doing a conventional mill pass at the part edge (kinda using flatlands as an open pocket strategy to clean up advanced roughing).

V27 seems to have a bit to go before it's as stable as V26 (I'm on build 1335), but once it's gone through some updates I'm sure I'll be upgrading. The angle range parameters in Equidistant Offset and Advanced Planar are really spot on as a new feature, though the "top of vertical wall" has been more hit or miss for me. There are a few improvements I think they can make to both of those options, such as a distance past the limit to be sure that you are getting all the way around an edge on roundovers, but it's really close to something amazing. There are quite a few other CAM improvements I like, but those are on the verge of changing my approach to certain tasks dramatically.

I also use Copy/Paste all the time and can't imagine going back. I could also use a machine setup copy/paste, as often I'm going to run the same tasks on the back of an object as the front. I'll definitely be submitting that as a feature request! I've asked for more control over the toolpath array functions, basically allowing you to array specific features or arraying the entire machine setup, but with the higher level array running all operations beneath it before going to the next arrayed part (limits rapids). In that way, it could also run a lower level array within the first higher level array operations before moving to the next part as well, so the array functions would be dependent on where they are placed in the tree. Currently, the only organization you can do is by tool or by feature, but it's pretty unorganized beyond that, often making the toolpath arrays not as useful.

The funny thing is, I actually expect they will respond to these feature requests because they are pretty aggressive about improving Bobcad. I don't think I have software from any other vendor where I could say I have that kind of confidence that they will give solid consideration to the ideas of their customers. Bobcad is on the right track in a lot of different ways!

Page 9 of 9 789