586,437 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 2 rail sweep

2 rail sweep

Can you use more then 1 profile for a 2 rail sweep. This would be in Bobart embossing.

Thank You'
    Don

Yes, once you've set the basic parameters, you'll be sent to the BobArt tree with the 2-Rail Sweep active. You'll then select your two rails, and you'll see a single Cross-Section Geometry slot. When you right-click on the Cross Section Geometry in the BobArt tree, one of the menu items is Add New Cross-Section Geometry. You can add as many as you want, and then right click each in turn, choose Re-Select, and select a different profile for each one. This gives a lot of control of the shape. It's basically as fine-grained as you want to make it. Here's a quick video showing a very basic 2-Rail sweep. You can, of course, use much more complex geometries than I show here.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

I did receive my disc. I am working through the tuts. It will take time. The art part with your vids is coming along very well. I am close to getting the half hull thing worked out. The multi profiles should help. I have created a shield device with multiple layers and imboss. Plus text. Thanks for your help with that. I tried to use the English font lol before I realized it was for engraving not raised letters.

I will have more questions as I go.

Don

A quick note on fonts. BobCAD can use any Windows TrueType font, so there are tons available for use, for free. Some of them will need a little elbow grease to use, because they weren't originally developed for CAD use. I'll whip out a video in the next day or so to cover how to do that. The boat hull exercise turned out to be a very complex thing in execution, or I'd have long since had a video posted. I'll do one for sure tomorrow, showing the "easy" way, and probably do the more complex one in another day or so.

One thing you learn very quickly, messing with CAD, is that perfect comes at the expense of fast... There are tons of tips and tricks out there. I pick them up regularly, reading these forums. Everyone has something to contribute, even if they don't know it. What you're doing right now, (learning to give the software the information in the order it expects it, and according to its own built-in workflow), is probably the most important thing you'll learn to do. Be patient, and ask questions, and you'll very quickly find yourself in command of some ridiculously powerful software. It has its limits, (which I'm currently bumping into with the hull thing), but overall, it's insanely good for the money.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello