586,129 active members*
2,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Powermax 45 with Machine Torch T45M intermittent Pilot Start

Powermax 45 with Machine Torch T45M intermittent Pilot Start

I just started getting the problem today and have had a look around the forums with no real results I can see, so any help most welcome.

I've been running the Powermax 45 on a CNC machine for about 6-7months from new with no problems and nothing has changed.

What happens is the torch comes down to the work touches off (OHMIC), raises to the stand off height, I hear a air solenoid operate and a short puff of air from the torch, then nothing and the second light from the left (torch cap sensor) flashes.

I instruct the machine to retry, the machine raises the torch etc, etc, touches off and the pilot fires and performs the cut most of the time. I changed the consumables, confirmed the air pressure, everything looks good. I have pushed the plunger on the base of the torch with the consumables out and it seems smooth and clean.

With the torch up from the work, I can tell the plasma to fire the pilot arc with my CNC software. It fails this way too. I can just retry every couple of seconds and it seems to eventually start the pilot and sustain it no problems.

Any pointers welcome or something i'm missing perhaps before I call Hypertherm.
    I thought you said your dog doesn't bite!...........Not my dog.

Check the ground to the table, and to the sheetmetal, dirty slats can cause grounding issues. try changing consumeables.

Its not a grounding issue - the pilot doesn't need a ground to fire.

Thanks

Pilot definitely needs a ground to fire, its just not the actual work ground that it fires on.

but why not check this article, its a good one.

Training Article: Troubleshooting PAC Systems - Starting Problems

I had a similar problem with my thermal dynamics machine, turned out to be the O rings that the consumables seal into. They looked ok, but were limp compared to the new ones. I assume the heat makes them loose their seal over time. I've had to replace the start canister in the nozzle body too, caused the same type of problem.

UPDATE: I wanted to confirm this morning, the hand torch fires correctly with no issues, so I think this confirms the power source is serviceable, and points to something in the T45M torch body.

UPADTE: So I dismantled the torch and what did I see the airline fitting was loose and some arcing had been going on. I cleaned up the fitting,check the wires integrity and applied some electrical tape to insulate the airline brass fitting. Works fine now but will need to keep checking it. I believe this was a manufacturing fault as there is no way that coupling could come loose inside the housing, unless it wasn't tight to start with. The source of the arcing was from air and moisture (yes I have a dryer) maybe working its way down the torch body (maybe). I will be calling hypertherm as the torch is only 7 months old. I'll update progress.

Thx

Attachment 203130

verify if you have mount corectly consumable ...proper torque

Quote Originally Posted by xyz-xyz View Post
    verify if you have mount corectly consumable ...proper torque
    Yes, the consumables were installed correctly. The fault was inside the torch as described in my last post.

Thx

Ovo

Are you getting any kind of code reading when this happens. I get a code 30 from time to time. It does exactly as you have described. I have found that the spiral flute on the electrode is tight sometimes and can cause this. I also had to change out the part that the ohmic clip is attached to. With my multi meter I found that the shield cap was making contact with the torch. It is suppose to be insulated. Other times I have found a small piece of blow back metal that bridges between the shield cap and the tip.

I was getting error lights after the torch failed to establish an arc. A reset on the machine removed the lights until it faulted again. Disassembling the torch is very easy to take a look inside. No special tools just a screw driver. This was an intermittent fault to start with and gradually became a serious issue with the machine not working. I'm hoping the repair I made will hold for the long term.

Ovo