586,395 active members*
2,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

linear actuator

I am trying to understand how a linear actuator works. My application needs a fast moving actuator with very little load. The idea is to use the least amount of hardware and work as possible. The power source should be AC or DC (preferable DC). The travel should be limited which means either use 2 limit switches or use stepper motors with a controller.

Is there a linear actuator setup that does not need a stepper controller card?

If you want to know how a linear actuator works, you might want to look at some of the schematics and information available on a site like THK. They dont all have the same mechanical assemblies.

Many of the linear actuators I have seen have the controllers built into them.

There are many used in the automotive field, e.g. ebay Item number: 4629632127
    These type have 12v dc motor just run flat out, some have a clutch to avoid motor burn out, you can also get 120vac with limit switch each end of stroke, so no controller is needed if you do not want speed or precise positioning control.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.