586,761 active members*
7,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Enabling motors

Hi, I want to configure mach 3 so the windings on my step motors turn off when they are not used. I can't seem to find out where to do this in the program. Could someone please tell me where this feature is. Thanks

I also can't seem to get my limit switches working right. Should one of the wires on the limit switch go to input and the other one goe to ground? or +5V? I have tried both and Mach 3 sees them, but will not let me reset even when I change the state of the switch. What I'm I doing wrong? Thanks
    If it doesn't work BUY BIGGER MOTORS!!

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewCNC
    Hi, I want to configure mach 3 so the windings on my step motors turn off when they are not used. I can't seem to find out where to do this in the program. Could someone please tell me where this feature is. Thanks
    I don't think this is possible, although I do seem to recall someone asking about it on the Yahoo support group a few months back. You might want to ask over there, or email Art and ask him directly.

I also can't seem to get my limit switches working right. Should one of the wires on the limit switch go to input and the other one goe to ground? or +5V? I have tried both and Mach 3 sees them, but will not let me reset even when I change the state of the switch. What I'm I doing wrong? Thanks
    One goes to the input, the other to 5V. You may need to use a pullup resistor as well. Does Mach3 actually see the switch trip? Check the LED on the diagnostics page.
    Also, you might be getting noise on the switch line. If so, try increasing the Input Debounce Interval in Config>State. Try 2000 and increase if necessary.

If you can't reset, what error message is displayed on the bottom of the screen? If it says E-stop button pressed, toggle the setting for active low on the estop input in the ports and pins setup. If it says limit tripped, then you may have a wiring issue.

One other thing, if using a breakout board, make sure you get a parallel cable with all the wires in it. The ones you can find at places like Best Buy usually won't work, as they're made for transferring data between PC's and the wires are not straight through.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think....

I have a two wire limit switch too and I read to use the grd and input.

Go to the below wesite and make your own determination.

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/madvac/machine_frame.htm

Madvac used two wires too. I have the same type he has.

good luck!

Thanks guys. I hooked up pullup resistors and all worked well.
    If it doesn't work BUY BIGGER MOTORS!!